• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New User Introduction

O

Oxman

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex and Everyone :) I've been searching through the forums and articles at this site for a while and hey, great forum and content, thanks for all the effort and time!

• Love
Reactions: Jerry James and Alex Glawion
N

Najla

Tech Intern
Reaction score
A warm welcome to all new users! :) We are excited to see this community grow and look forward to having interesting and fun discussions with you!

I am Alex and, together with my team, run CGDirector. I love helping out in any way I can, but mostly this is by writing in-depth articles on PC-Hardware and Content-Creation workloads, or by helping the community fiddle with their new build and hardware components.

I'm extremely interested in optimizing processes such as rendering, or analyzing performance bottlenecks in order to make my and your work more efficient.

Tell us a little bit about yourself! :)

After Introducing yourself, here are some of the things you can do to get started:
- Get an expert opinion on your planned PC Build or Hardware Upgrade
- Discuss 3D, Video Editing, Graphic Design Workloads or Gaming Workloads
- Show us some of your recent work!

... and more :)
Hi Alex, I just saw your message and I had already posted a question regarding PC builder for 3D Animation (Cinema 4D and Motion Graphics (After Effects). I love your site, it is great!

T

Tived

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Alex and Everyone here,

I came across the website and forum, looking for information on building a new system for image manipulation, originally for 2D images, but I am starting to look into the need of doing 3D stills for building projects, which I was involved in before this little virus with very big implication hit us all.

Great to be here, a little about my current systems are as follows
Evga Super Record-2, and oldie but has been very good (2010 vintage) - Dual Xeon, with 48GB ram, 20x SSD's in various raid configs as well as 8 Seagate spinners in a span. 680GTX graphics card, 1200w Antec Quattro, Lian Li V2120 case - I will be retiring this machine anytime soon.

Earlier this year, I built a Ryzen 9 3900x system, 128GB ram, 5x Nvme, 4x in raid-0 (9TB in total), RTX 2070 in a Fractal Design Define 7 XL case, 850w Antec HCG.
I have reading reviews for some time, thought i had done my homework, had looked at the threadripper, but decided on Ryzen (to save $$$), not paying attention to the limitation in PCIe Lanes.... so I am now looking to build a Threadripper for the extra PCIe lanes 😩 so the Ryzen will be looking for a new home soon too.

About me, Danish, live in Sydney Australia.
I used to work as a Photoshop retoucher in photography studios over a 10 year period, been into computers for a very long time (too long, my dad had a PET computer, that should raise some eyebrows for those old enough to remember if any? 😉) I the past few years I have been involved in Project Management for building cafe's and restaurants, with a background if catering, Health and safety and Risk aversions. "Look after your people and they will 99% look after you", as part of this, I got involved in 3D sketches of the builds to review it for any health and safety issues before building. This is something I hope to be more involved in, once the sanity of the world returns to normal.

J

Jade W

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Jade here

I'm just a 3d design student trying to become a motion designer. This is probably the most informative site I've ever seen when it comes to pc builds for artists and content creators. We use Mac for the most part at my school (with maybe 1 or 2 pc labs) so I would like to learn more about PC and build my own that I can use at home. I've been using Cinema 4D for the past two years but I've recently gotten into Blender and unreal engine.

N

nb50733

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Noel, I was searching the web for PC building help and this looked a good place to start and hopefully stay!

I am in the middle of changing my career but studying to get some IT certifications and when I have completed them, I hope to secure a new job sometime next year (ideally by summer 2021)

T

Tina Grace

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi! My name is Christina Grace. I am so grateful that I come across this awesome website.

I want to learn 3d animation, video editing, and streaming but not sure where to start. Fortunately, I learned about this great website with its help and this awesome community my dream may come to reality. I am looking forward to sharing and learning from all of you!

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James
Z

zviagin

Tech Intern
Reaction score
A warm welcome to all new users! :) We are excited to see this community grow and look forward to having interesting and fun discussions with you!

I am Alex and, together with my team, run CGDirector. I love helping out in any way I can, but mostly this is by writing in-depth articles on PC-Hardware and Content-Creation workloads, or by helping the community fiddle with their new build and hardware components.

I'm extremely interested in optimizing processes such as rendering, or analyzing performance bottlenecks in order to make my and your work more efficient.

After Introducing yourself, here are some of the things you can do to get started:

Hi Alex. my name is Eugene. I am an architect interested in Video editing with DaVinci Resolve. I would like also to learn about PC building. There are new CPU and GPU products from AMD. How soon could I get them and what PC configuration is optimal for a budget of $2000-2500? Thank a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:
SequelZero

SequelZero

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi all, I am a 3d artist and I am happy that I have found this website. The articles are very informative. I am planning a new build and I hope to get some advice.

H

Holger

Hi Alex!

Thanks for having me.

iam very happy to join this group - your homepage is really amazing !
I am an architect from Austria, i am working with a macbookpro on my projects. For my daily work i use an I mac and a Macbookpro most of the time in archicas - now i want to get more into rendering (archviz 3dsmax and corona) so i wanna build a render pc - and here is your homepage very very helpful !! THX for that !

P

Pele86

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi all,
i'm Paolo and i'm an interior designer.
I work on my Hp laptop, but now i would improve my modeling skills, so i'm think to build a new pc. I use Cinema4d and Marvelous Designer and i render with Vray and Corona.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

David Heizer

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

DAVE School (Orlando) grad here. Moved to L.A. in 2012 for a job; it didn't go well, and I wound up back in Word Processing to survive, but I've been trying in fits and starts to get some kind of CGI career started, until I borked my 2012 homebuild with a spill. I'd been toying with the idea of building a newer, more up-do-date one (previous was thanks to a friend), and now it's a necessity!

Mostly LIghtwave, Nuke, and Premiere, also have used After Effects and ZBrush, and would like to explore many others (such as Marvelous, Houdini, Vue...).

These days I'm looking less at full-time employment in a VFX shop (although there's one on every block here!) than freelance work on the side of my day job.

• Wow
H

Helenef

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Hélène; I am a lighting 3D artist working mainly in maya, substance but looking to branch out into other softwares.
I have never built a PC but was always intrigued by it. I am freshly arrived in Canada and need a workstation to work from home so I'm taking the big leap and going to build my first pc.

Reactions: Jerry James, SequelZero and Alex Glawion
S

Shanjb3

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Alex,
I'm really glad to find this site. My first summer job was building PCs for a local computer shop. I really enjoyed it, but I wasn't responsible for picking out the parts and that was long enough ago that, after assembling, I installed Windows and AOL with a stack of floppy disks.

Our daughter is studying animation and this semester her laptop struggled to keep up with what she needed it to do. She does have access to the computer labs, but we'd like to get her a computer that can handle the majority of her needs for the next few years. When I first mentioned the idea of building it ourselves, I got a little pushback from the rest of the family, but they are definitely coming around. I look forward to finalizing our parts and getting started with the assembling.
Thanks!

K

kerim

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I am an academic, an artist and a designer.
Thank you for such a great community. The knowledge and experience you share is priceless.
Cheers!

M

MKomljenovic

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi to all!
I'm Marko, 3D archviz artist and I googled this site in search for some info about workstations for 3D&rendering work. And I definitely found great source of information I was looking for.
Excelent site!
Keep up the good work an all the best!

M

MStein

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Alex, Jerry and community!
My name is Manuel. I'm an junior 3D generalist working mostly in archviz at the moment.
I don't even remember how I discovered this page but I've found my self comming back almost every day for a few months now. I find your posts to ne very informative and clear. Needless to say, I've learnt a lot reading your articles.
I hope I can give something back to you or at least to thw community!

J

JoAnn

Tech Intern
Reaction score

Hi. My name is JoAnn and I am a former Producer and current mom of a 16 year old animation enthusiast. He has spent the last few month working with After Effects on an animation and now cannot render it. I believe it is because he is working on a Mac. I figured I should ask the pros for advice as to what he should do next.

B

BetterNature

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

My name is Jon. This site has been extremely helpful for me so far! I'm excited to engage with the community.

Just a couple of things about me. I got a degree in animation back in 2012. Life took me in a few different directions for a while, but I recently rediscovered my love for 3D modeling and animation, and I've been diving head first into mastering Blender and other related products. I found this site specifically because I was looking to build a PC tailored towards modeling and animation.

Jon

DAS Interior

DAS Interior

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Alex and team,

Great to be here and be part of the community.
Congratulations for your site and for all the help and information you provide.

My name is Demetris (hi to all members) and a Interior Architect dealing with all kind of projects pkus furniture and light design.
I use cad software for my projects, mainly autocad for 2d drawings and rhino for 3d. As fa's as it comes to render am still undecided which one is better so am using either vray, lumion or twinmotion. Then I finish everything on Photoshop.

I already post a thread on laptop advice cause am planing to get a new one. This is the link :

I hope you all have a good year!

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James
A

AngelaPark

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Nice to meet you. I just joined the forum