• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New User Introduction

JuniorRamos29

JuniorRamos29

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
A warm welcome to all new users! :) We are excited to see this community grow and look forward to having interesting and fun discussions with you!

I am Alex and, together with my team, run CGDirector. I love helping out in any way I can, but mostly this is by writing in-depth articles on PC-Hardware and Content-Creation workloads, or by helping the community fiddle with their new build and hardware components.

I'm extremely interested in optimizing processes such as rendering, or analyzing performance bottlenecks in order to make my and your work more efficient.

Tell us a little bit about yourself! :)

After Introducing yourself, here are some of the things you can do to get started:
- Get an expert opinion on your planned PC Build or Hardware Upgrade
- Discuss 3D, Video Editing, Graphic Design Workloads or Gaming Workloads
- Show us some of your recent work!

... and more :)

Hi Alex.

Well, i've been studying lot about Motion Design (even creating some personal/amateur stuff) and I intend to work with it. I have a background as TI Analyst (most part with software/web development), but i don't have any professional experience with Motion Design. Many years ago I worked with PC builds/maintenance, but nowadays I'm totally outdated in this area. So i'm still looking for a good PC build to get started with Motion Design, and after read one of your very well written and explanatory articles, I think i found the right place to learn better how to build a PC, considering what the features and specs that each software requires.

Congratulations for this site and it's contents.
Great work.

Reactions: Jerry James and Alex Glawion
S

Stelios

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi there my name is Stelios and i'm from Greece

I'm a civil engineer and I'm here to build a new pc for my work.
I mostly work with Autocad, Rhino, Sketchup, Vray, Photoshop and Illustrator ,

Also i'm an ex- bartender so i blend perfect cocktails 🍸 :cool:

Cheers!

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James
oonabe

oonabe

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new here, actually new to the forum but have been following this website for several months already. I am a CG enthusiast and work as a software developer in the multimedia branch and I am working on several projects and ideas involving rendering, animations, a little bit of digital painting and also music. I hope I can share some of my works soon here and see how you like it, get some feedback and share ideas with anyone interested in similar things.

Cheers...

Reactions: Hidari, Jerry James and Alex Glawion
Mills

Mills

Tech Intern
Reaction score
A warm welcome to all new users! :) We are excited to see this community grow and look forward to having interesting and fun discussions with you!

I am Alex and, together with my team, run CGDirector. I love helping out in any way I can, but mostly this is by writing in-depth articles on PC-Hardware and Content-Creation workloads, or by helping the community fiddle with their new build and hardware components.

I'm extremely interested in optimizing processes such as rendering, or analyzing performance bottlenecks in order to make my and your work more efficient.

After Introducing yourself, here are some of the things you can do to get started:
- Discuss 3D, Video Editing, Graphic Design Work
Hello CGDIRECTOR community and team. This is a very cool site, found it about an hour and a half ago. It gave me the final push to try to build my own PC. The PC builder tool is also very helpful. Thanks.

R

Ronin

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great helpful site. Have read your articles for a few months now so had to sign in to the forum too! Keep up the great work!

Reactions: Jerry James
Hidari

Hidari

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a graphic designer by trade and have been learning Blender for the last two years to be able to include custom 3D graphics in my work. I, then, became interested in doing more 3D animation work which caused my trusted workhorse, a late 2015 IMac with a 4 GHz Intel Core i7 but crappy onboard graphics card to choke. After starting my research into getting a new dedicated Blender PC, I quickly came across this site and found it most helpful in getting an idea what I would need in terms of hardware.
Thank you very much for all the invaluable info gathered here, it sure helps a lot.
Cheers from Munich, Germany,
Hidari

Reactions: oonabe and Jerry James
J

JoeR

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an New York based animator and designer, looking forward to building my first PC since owning a Dell in about 2001 haha. Been on Macs ever since and really feeling the pain of their pricing and limitations as I have been trying to add 3D into my workflow the last couple years. Currently on a Mac Pro Trashcan (still think it looks cool, but a regrettable purchase nonetheless) and excited to see the kind of PC I can build for the same price I paid for that nowadays. I was close to buying a prebuilt PC but this site and watching friends build their own machines has convinced me to save my money and go the DIY route.

Look forward to joining the community here and all the helpful advice from the site and forum, which I hope to be able to contribute to in the future once I have my first successful build—which I've laid out in the new builds section here. Cheers!

Reactions: Jerry James, YossiS and Hidari
Y

YossiS

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Finally made an account on this site after benefiting profoundly from its vast library of resources (and still am). There seems to be an endless storehouse of information here, whether through the articles or on the forums!

I'm Yossi Siegel, I'm based in Israel and currently am working on building up a portfolio for 3D work. I did a couple of paid jobs here and there, but nothing serious...hoping to build me a normal computer to make it more practical to advance in this direction, as it is not (yet) my main paying job, although I have some big plans for the future...!

CaliA

CaliA

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
my name is Amanda, I recently came across this site on the Internet and stuck on it:LOL:
I am a beginner on these technical stuffs but I really want to try digital design and animations.
Hope to find a lot of interesting content here in the future!

P

PoRid

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex
I am just looking into buying a new laptop with a view to using Blender, the Adobe CC or alternatives like Affinity, various fractal and geomtry programmes to combine and look to make some art to sell as prints etc for my business or separate sideline. Looking for advice on what specs to go for in a laptop for my budget. Looked online a lot and cant seem to get the answers I need. Also with looking more into it may look to try and get into building a desktop for myself in the future or at least upgrading my other computers.
Paul

Soho

Soho

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi all. Hopefully I’ve found the rite forum for me gaining knowledge and advice. I’m comfortable with stripping down a pc and rebuilding it and have done many basic upgrades before over the years and enjoy it. I’m definitely no expert and I’ve got a lot to learn especially regarding compatibility issues (ie which ram to which cpu). I’ll not post my current issue here as I’m guessing there’s already a place for it somewhere amongst all these threads. I’ll have a look and post if I can’t find what I’m looking for. 👍🏼

Reactions: Car'a'carn and Jerry James
C

Car'a'carn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Jerry, I'm new to computer building and new to this site, but so far I've learnt a bunch from it! I'm hoping to learn a lot more! I think I'm at the end of my first build, just trying to put the last touches on it and make sure that all of my parts are compatible and I haven't messed anything up real bad!

If you want to check out my first build and give me any input it would be much appreciated! It's a post on this site. First Time New Build.

Thanks for everything in advance! I hope to learn a lot here!

D

dsg

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi, Alex. My name is Dan. I live in Toronto and my main things are painting, drawing, photography, and music. I don't know very much about computers except that the ones on the shelf don't seem to have what I need.

For example, a guy I knew had to upgrade my old HP to let me use Photoshop and Lightroom (legacy) at the same time. He put in a graphics card and increased the power supply.

Then I bought an Acer laptop that claimed to have an optical audio output, which is a must for me. My favorite thing about this dying HP is that it has a dedicated optical audio output in the back. But then I found that the Acer prefers I use HDMI to get that s/pdid output which means leaving the tv on all the time.

A friend suggested I check this site out, put in my budget, and get recommendations for the guy down the street who builds custom PCs but needs detailed instructions about what to put into it, and that's where I get lost.

So I copied the recommendation but... does the motherboard have a s/pdif? That's a dealbreaker. Or is there another way?

Where do I post the specifications to get input, as suggested on that page? Should I try it here?

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6Mb4Z

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($349.00)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock Slim ($24.90)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX AM4 ($114.99)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 6GB - Gigabyte Windforce ($799.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3200 C16 ($79.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive ($59.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($64.99)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 275Q ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99)
Total: $1583.84

lwilson

lwilson

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi All,

My name is Leah, I just started learning animation this term. My I-mac is not compatible with the newest adobe software because I bought it back in 2015. I have a dell laptop that can at least download the software that I need. I'm here to learn about how to build my own PC and what kind of computers would work well with my major.

K

Kaisa C-T

Hi friends!

I'm Kaisa from La Crosse, WI. I have been a blender user for years. I remember being overwhelmed but intrigued by Blender 2.49.
I am currently a software developer. With this stimulus check, I finally am going to build a 3D animation PC. It has been tough seperating work from personal life when working from home. It is made even tougher when your work computer is your only computer you can use for personal hobbies. So I am excited to get that separation back and also finally be able to do some cool animations that would murder my laptop.

I will likely be posting soon about if the build is good or not 😅

Nice to meet you all!!

carlo.alleva

carlo.alleva

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I'm Carlo, Motion designer, lookdev artist and matte painter in some project :)
I'm here to share with you my new build and asking for some advice if I can get a bit of your time!
Super excited to be here, this website is so helpful and inspiring!

vladriko

vladriko

Tech Intern
Reaction score

Hi Alex and of course a friendly hello to all members of this forum Im from Argentina .. and I work as a 2d artist .. many years now ..
I started study architecture but later shifted to traditional art so my beginnings were traditional art field then jumped into digital art ..
3d art was /is something I really like it .. not so animation, but renders ,modeling, .. FX ... I started learning ZBrush like an year ago .. and had brief contacts with MAYA, BLENDER , MODO...
I joined this forum hoping to find guidance and bit of an enlightening :) since I know the basics of hardware .. and build a pc but when it comes to what program and particular stage of a 3d modeling rendering process takes advantage of what piece of hardware .. IM bit of lost in this regard.. and now that to build a pc is not so cheap as it was a year before ..

A

Ayirus

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

I found your website trying to figure out one of the problem with display and thunderbolt. I couldn't find an answer anywhere else other than here. Thank you for the site and the great community over here. I am a backend engineer and in free time and also do photography. I want to run some machine learning models as well. Happy to be part of this community.

Suriya

Reactions: Jerry James, vladriko and Alex Glawion
EpicFun

EpicFun

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello every one :):)👋👋.

I am new Here and am interested in learning all kinds of animation, Video editing and other useful software that are new to me, i believe i will get all the useful knowledge that i am i do not about Animation and computer.

Rob van Wely

Rob van Wely

Tech Intern
Reaction score

Hello Alex.
Thanks for your interesting articles, I appreciate, but get a bit lost in all the technical details.
A bit about myself: I'm a Dutch street musician since fifty years, living in France, playing guitar & singing (& whistling) mainly in Switzerland, having published (independently) six albums with my own compositions and covers. Bossa Nova, Blues & Ballads.
The last 18 years I've been filming, more and more since ten years, mainly (but not only) in Bali where I live six months each year, when Indonesian borders aren't closed to foreigners like now (covid...). I'm an filming & editing, autodidact, with simple handycams, editing with consumer software (PowerDirector 12) till now.
Recently I could afford a better semi-pro video camera (Panasonic HC-X2000) that can film in 4K.
Now I discover that my old laptop (HP Pavillon dv6 Notebook with Windows 7 64 bits, Intel i7-3610QM CPU 2.30Ghz, 8Go RAM) cannot even playback this 4K video correctly, and PowerDirector 12 even doesn't seem to recognize it at all.
I understood already before buying this new camera that I probably needed a more powerful laptop and better software to do serious editing, I'm considering Avid Media Composer. In the Avid website I found a list of compatible laptops, but that list is so long, that I need more advice before buying one. I can spend up to 3000€ for that, exceptionally, and would like to avoid a mistake when buying. Can you give me some advice? I'd be very thankful. (As I travel a lot, I can't opt for another solution than a laptop).
Thanks in advance.
Best regards, Rob
PS Videos I published so far can be found in
youtube.com/robvanwely
youtube.com/robvanwelyatbali
and https://vimeo.com/user12204778

Attachments

• going down the road small.jpg
    going down the road small.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 3