• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New User Introduction

Q

QuincyOkolo

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello Alex and to the rest of the community. 😁

My name is Quincy and I am a final year animation student at university in Scotland. I am hoping to get into a graduate position as a character animator for games. I have been looking at the articles and I first of all want to thank all the team at CGDirector for the effort that goes into them. They are very informative and clear a lot of things up for me with regards to specs. With that being said I am going to post a build made via the PC builder for feedback based on a build that I would like to use for 3D animation.

Many thanks,
Quincy.

Reactions: Jerry James
magneto

magneto

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Greetings from my Studio in Melbourne Australia. I am a Music and Sound Creative and a fledgling Video maker.
I built my first Pentium box back in '93 but since then usually favored AMD silicon. I have always built my own Systems over the years, and helped out others where I can, sometimes as a professional. I'm learning video now so I look forward to exchanging information and views here, and especially connect with other Computer-Wonk Creatives!

O

otrocoso

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello Alex
I was lookig to built a render PC and I came across your site. I am amaze for the vast information you present here.

I am a Movie Maker and a Mograph Desinger. I use DaVinci, Nuke, Mari, ZBrush and Maya, among others.
I am working with apple computers for a long time, because of the durability of its hardware. I still have a 7 years old computer working like the first day. But as much as I like apple, I had to admit that when it comes to handle 3D projects, it just run like a slack raceing underwater.

I don’t know how much I could offer to this forum but I certainly see that I can learn a lot.

Thanks for having me.

Raul

HaithamAlMasri

HaithamAlMasri

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Alex,

I'm just a graphic designer trying to shift into mainly into matte painting and 3d modeling, and clicked my way to this forum from your PC build article.

K

Kenny

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello, I just finished reading the article on single vs dual rank ram and was redirected to this forum by the "ask our expert forum" link. I have a Dell inspiron 3168 laptop that I just upgraded from 4gb to 8gb ram. I'm not very knowledgeable about ram or all the various specs to consider, so I did alot of homework before making a purchase finally by creating a chart to match up the specs of various alternative brands and modules. First I tracked down all the details of the 4gb module the laptop came with, as follows:

SK Hynix 4gb DDR3L SO-DIMM
Part number HMT451S6BFR8A-PB
Serial number 0C7B23BA
SK Hynix HMT451S6BFR8A 4GB 1Rx8 DDR3 SO-DIMM PC3-12800 1600MHz 204-Pin Non-ECC CL11 1.35V Laptop Memory Module HMT451S6BFR8A-PB.
Model: HMT451S6BFR8A
Part Number: HMT451S6BFR8A-PB
Compatible Part Numbers: PC3L-12800S-11-13-B4
Memory Capacity: 4GB
Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAM
Pins: 204-Pin
Speed: 1600MHz
Bus Type: PC3-12800
CAS Latency: CL11
Memory Clock: 200Mhz
Error Correction (ECC): Non-ECC
Voltage: 1.35V
Form Factor: SO-DIMM

Then after looking at alot of options I identified the specific categories that seemed to represent the most variations. I went on other tech forums seeking guidance and eventually drew up the following chart. the first row lists what seemed to be the specs from my existing ram that I needed most to match up with the new 8gb module for upgrade. The single vs dual rank question was and still is a big question, as I found prospective 8gb modules that matched every spec EXCEPT for rank. Or I had one that matched every spec except for the latency. I really wanted to know if specs like rank or latency had to match exactly my current ram or whether there was room for say a change from my current CL11 to CL9 in latency, which was the only difference with one Gskill module I was interested in. But I was unable to find a definitive answer and after studying and asking questions from here to kingdom come, I followed the most conservative advice and purchased the only affordable 8gb module I could find that matched every spec exactly, a teamgroup product.

hynix have nowteamgrouptimetechA-techG skill 1g skill 2nvtek
Bus TypePC3-12800yyyyyy
RankSingle (1Rx8)ydual (2Rx8)dual (2Rx8)y
CAS LatencyCL11yyyyCL9
Error Correction (ECC)Non-ECCyyyy
Voltage1.35Vyyyyyy
Form FactorSO-DIMMyyyyyy
Pins204yyyyyy
Memory Type: DDR3 SDRAMyyyyyy
speed1600MHzyyyyyy

The TeamGroup module I purchased on Amazon was model: TED3L8G1600C11-S01 and here is the Amazon listing:

As you'll see, this TeamGroup module is listed in the Amazon product description as single rank. Again, I chose it because it matched the specs of the ram this laptop came with, not because I actually understand how or why any of these parameters work or what would be optimum for my system. So the new ram arrived last night and I was excited to put it in and watch this slow old machine leap to life.

So I got it installed and the first thing I did was run the cpu-z scan. Looking over the results I was immediately alarmed to see this:

Screenshot (14).png
The thing is, I didn't know this until after I'd installed it, obviously. So did a chat with tech support at Amazon who convinced me dual was going to be even better than single rank would have been. Actually they are the ones who directed me to your article. But even after reading it I'm still unclear as to really what would be best for this laptop. Dell won't give me any advice because their guidelines state that this laptop's max ram is 4gb so no upgrade advisable. Of course I found any number of enthusiasts who had concluded Dell's guidelines were incorrect and had upgraded to 8gb with great success. So here I am.

Bottom line, that's a long winded way of asking what should I do now? Would I be better off with the single rank module as I had intended to purchase? If so I can return this one. Also, if that turns out to be the case, my next question would be, do I need to stick to the CL11 I have now or would CL9 work, allowing me to look again at the Gskills module mentioned on my chart. Gskills does have a CL11 8gb stick but I was unable to determine the ECC status or rank on that one. Plus it was out of stock on Amazon.

Or am I better off with the dual rank stick I got sent? It's already installed and functioning but I don't know really if it's functioning as well or better or worse than the single rank one would. Apologies for such a long winded opening post. I'm just eager to get this resolved one way or the other. Thank you for your patience if you've read all this and I look forward to your advice. Thank you again and Happy Holidays!

Kenny

M

MrBN

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello Alex & everyone else!

I just found you-all today, and so I'm brand new to your site/forum.

I've been developing embedded & systems software for > 40 years, and my current development system is starting to age, and continues to give me some frustrating problems (especially with keyboard typematic rate - I type really fast, and it really bogs me down :( ).

So, I just finished a post for "could you help me build a PC/Laptop" - if my current system goes down, I'm literally w/o work until I can rebuild a new one, so it's time for me to setup a new development system and migrate all my work over to it [I can use my current one as a backup then...]

Anyway - hello everyone, and I *do* appreciate that this site/forum exists and there may be someone willing to help me! :)

/Brad

J

Jebrr12

Tech Intern
Reaction score
I’m just getting into PC and building and stumbled on this site hoping to get feedback on first build and parts!

S

S4eftrfw123

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a web-designer, now I'm working on a new program employee time tracker I find this forum from your PC build article. Thanks! It's opened for me a lot of new.

Z

Zatumi

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I'm a 3D artist from Finland and currently working in the field of AR/XR/VR. I'm looking to build a new pc for 3D work and was searching different websites to find some advice on what parts to buy. I found your page on Best Workstation Computer for 3D Modeling and Rendering and it had a lot of good info so I thought that this forum might be a good place to ask for some advice.

Thanks!

B

Bruce

Tech Intern
Reaction score
A warm welcome to all new users! :) We are excited to see this community grow and look forward to having interesting and fun discussions with you!

I am Alex and, together with my team, run CGDirector. I love helping out in any way I can, but mostly this is by writing in-depth articles on PC-Hardware and Content-Creation workloads, or by helping the community fiddle with their new build and hardware components.

I'm extremely interested in optimizing processes such as rendering, or analyzing performance bottlenecks in order to make my and your work more efficient.

Tell us a little bit about yourself! :)

After Introducing yourself, here are some of the things you can do to get started:
- Get an expert opinion on your planned PC Build or Hardware Upgrade
- Discuss 3D, Video Editing, Graphic Design Workloads or Gaming Workloads
- Show us some of your recent work!

... and more :)
Hi Alex, team, & everyone else!
I'm Bruce, I'm 18 years old, and I know next to nothing about computers, but I love playing video games and I'm interested in making YouTube and Twitch content, so I figured this site could help me get started because I am working super out of my depth here.

B

Bishop

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi ! people!
luv a lot this forum !
im 3d artist..

NicoMozes

NicoMozes

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am learning Blender and Unity and stumble onto this site looking for information about PC builds for those tasks.
I found the Best Workstation Computer for 3D Modeling and Rendering article incredibly useful and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys clear information on the topic!
Cheers,
Nico

Reactions: Jerry James and Alex Glawion
D

designerphotog

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey Alex,

I'm a photographer and have a background in graphic design and art direction. I've always wanted to learn more about commercial 3D work and I used your site as a resource when building out a PC to start my journey into the space.

Best!

hectorloop

hectorloop

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi!

I am graphic designer and 3D artist from Spain. I have been working with C4D since release 8, always on a Mac. In the last two years I have been gearing towards interior design more, using Corona as my preferred render engine. Projects are getting more and more complex and my iMac i5 3.8Ghz 32 GB RAM is in need of a replacement. M1 Macs only provide 16 GB max of RAM and the new Mac Studio seems very expensive for the specs it offers (4.629,00 € for a M1 Ultra + 64 GB RAM).

All this is making me think of getting a PC, at least for rendering. I have been looking around and it seems that I can get something fast (128 GB RAM) for around 3000€, still a lot of research to do, so I came to this forum to look around and see if I can find some builds that may suit my needs.

h

Reactions: Data4ja, Jerry James and Alex Glawion
Audius

Audius

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi hello,

My name is Andy and I have been getting back in to digital art, I used to work a lot with 3D Max in the early 2000's. Just recently redescoverd love for all things 3D. I currently work with Blender and Unreal Engine 5. The laptop I have does a semi-decent job but anything that gets more complex in detail and scale starts to crash my system. Im looking to build a rig and I stumbled upon the guide for building a rig for 3d work flow. I was very helpful and I will have to do more research as I start to build it.

Cheers!

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James
D

Deveng

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm Peter from the UK and I'm wanting to try my hand at video editing for a new project I'm considering. I've posted my proposed build in the forum and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks All

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James
A

Alan_80

Tech Intern
Reaction score
A warm welcome to all new users! :) We are excited to see this community grow and look forward to having interesting and fun discussions with you!

I am Alex and, together with my team, run CGDirector. I love helping out in any way I can, but mostly this is by writing in-depth articles on PC-Hardware and Content-Creation workloads, or by helping the community fiddle with their new build and hardware components.

I'm extremely interested in optimizing processes such as rendering, or analyzing performance bottlenecks in order to make my and your work more efficient.

Tell us a little bit about yourself! :)

After Introducing yourself, here are some of the things you can do to get started:
- Get an expert opinion on your planned PC Build or Hardware Upgrade
- Discuss 3D, Video Editing, Graphic Design Workloads or Gaming Workloads
- Show us some of your recent work!

... and more :)

Hi Alex,

I am currently working as a Technical Artist at an animation Studio. I look forward to learning what makes a solid PC for Professional level Animation and Game Development.

T

TAnim8r

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I'm Tim, and I just joined the forum, but I actually built my PC a couple of years ago with the excellent advice from CG Director. I've been using computers for decades for 3D animation and video editing, and had done some minor repairs now and again, but this was the first time I attempted to build one, and I have to say it was surprisingly easy, and I'm really happy with the machine and its performance.

Baliwasan

Baliwasan

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm Baliwasan and I build PC's for Kid's, whose parents can't afford to buy them a PC. Most of my parts are DONATED from friends in Germany, as I live in Indonesia... 😅 So the only cost that I have are the import fees. I just received a AMD Motherboard with an 1100T PCU and all that goes with it (AM3+) 😇. My question is now, can I combine 2 different kit's i.e. a

HX316C9SRK2/8 and a​

GOC38GB2133C11DC

https://www.google.com/search?newwi...2ahUKEwiQscimj5H4AhWk4HMBHa3DDHoQjJkEegQIAxAC
As the Kid in question would like to study Graphic design.
I have combined the PC with an N 580 GC.

Below some of my previous work.... 😅

Attachments

• IMG_20220317_202429.jpg
    IMG_20220317_202429.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-20220219-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20220219-WA0010.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
C

Crispiis

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hola hola, my name is Cristian
I'm fairly new to the PC building game, have been dreaming about it for years now but I'm finally in a position where I can afford to build my own PC. Haven't done it before, switched out some ram and graphics cards and stuff for computers at my job but have never built one from scratch. Looking forward to the experience and the advice. For sure will be posting my planned build soon.
I'm a 3D Generalist btw.