• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Not working with 3rd Ram stick

Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Thanks to All! My PC 4th gen Intel i7 on mobo Asus H97 Plus with 4 ram slots. Now working with 2 ram sticks each at 8 gb.One is Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10)SPD Latency: 9-9-9-24; SPD Speed: 1333MHz; SPD Voltage: 1.5V , Tested Speed :1600MHz. The other is Kingston FURY Memory - 8GB Module - DDR3 SDRAM 1866MHz CL10 DIMM.
To enhance PC speed I want to set another 8 gb ram(Adata- 8GB Module - DDR3L 1600(11) Premier) but mobo failed to support. Is there any technical issue? Kindly clear my very basic query. With Thanks.

Last edited:
Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi................................

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Mitra, do you mean you wanted to add another stick of 8GB memory to your motherboard, which already has 2x8GB sticks in it?

Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Jerry! Thanks!! Yes now working with two ram sticks(2x8gb) and wanted to add 8gb 3rd stick.

Last edited:
Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi..................................................

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Jerry! Thanks!! Yes now working with two ram sticks(2x8gb) and wanted to add 8gb 3rd stick.

It should work, though some motherboards will switch to single-channel mode - making your memory slower overall. Do you really need more RAM or would your work benefit from faster RAM?

As for it not working, could you install a memory stick in just that third slot to check if the slot still works?

Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jerry! Expecting work benefit from faster RAM
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H and Asus H97 Plus - amazingly tested in these both boards. All channels are working but with 2 ram sticks only. If we set 3rd stick boards are not supporting. Up to 16gb. if we set 2 sticks in any channel no issue. If I install 3rd 8gb stick won't work! My query is as the mobos are of 32 gb compatibility with 4 channels and why 3rd ram stick is not working?

Last edited:
Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi.........................................................

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Jerry! Expecting work benefit from faster RAM
Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H and Asus H97 Plus - amazingly tested in these both boards. All channels are working but with 2 ram sticks only. If we set 3rd stick boards are not supporting. Up to 16gb. if we set 2 sticks in any channel no issue. If I install 3rd 8gb stick won't work! My query is as the mobos are of 32 gb compatibility with 4 channels and why 3rd ram stick is not working?

If you want faster RAM, I'd actually recommend sticking with the two sticks you have. Don't use a third unless you can get a full kit.

That said, not too sure why a stick isn't working or showing up. I just tried on my MSI motherboard and it does show up, but I get switched to single-channel. Also, getting to the rated memory speeds seems impossible (on this board, at least). @Alex Glawion any ideas?

Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
If you want faster RAM, I'd actually recommend sticking with the two sticks you have. Don't use a third unless you can get a full kit.

That said, not too sure why a stick isn't working or showing up. I just tried on my MSI motherboard and it does show up, but I get switched to single-channel. Also, getting to the rated memory speeds seems impossible (on this board, at least). @Alex Glawion any ideas?

Jerry! Many Thanks For the reply. I will go on with 2 sticks walking on the asus board!!!?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I think you should continue using those until you have a full pair of 2 more sticks.

Mitra

Mitra

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Yep, I think you should continue using those until you have a full pair of 2 more sticks.
I think Jerry! 2 more sticks means with same gb/speed(4x2 or 8x2).With Thanks.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
I think Jerry! 2 more sticks means with same gb/speed(4x2 or 8x2).With Thanks.
Yep, similar kits are always safer :) So in your case, I'd probably just match the Vengeance kit you have ( CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10) and get 2 more.