• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Nvidia Graphics Card Upgrade

P

Pik20d

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi
I've just joined this forum and was hoping someone could give me advice.
I have bought a new off the shelf Dell PC that came with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Super graphics card installed. I use Corel Video Studio to edit and render video including 4K. The current card struggles a little so want to upgrade to probably the GeForce 3060 Eagle OC 12Gb (limited to budget).

The problem is, the current card connects with a 6 pin block power connector and the 3060 has 8 pin connector. Is there a way to solve this without changing the PCU. I have no other spare power connections left in the PC.

PC Spec:
Dell XPS8940
11th Gen Intel i5-11400 @2.60GHz
40Gb RAM
GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4Gb GDDR6
Thank you for any assistance.
Trevor

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to solve this without changing the PCU
You'll be upgrading to a completely different tier of graphics card so you'll have to check whether your PSU can handle it. No option but to open up the side panel and take a peek at the power supply installed. If it meets the 550W minimum that Nvidia recommends, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. Else, you'll keep encountering random restarts when your PC is under heavy load.

the current card connects with a 6 pin block power connector and the 3060 has 8 pin connector.
Yes, there are adapter options like these 1695770148758.pngbut they aren't really a good idea most of the time. Upgrade your PSU.