• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

pc build advice

J

jay

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6LJKC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT 3.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($247.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition ($29.99)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX ATX AM4 ($128.35)
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5600XT - XFX Thicc II Pro ($299.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($70.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive ($62.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX450M 450W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($69.99)
Case: darkFlash Micro ATX Mini ITX Tower MicroATX Computer Case with Door Opening Tempered Glass Side Panel (DLM22 Pink) ($54.99)

Hi, I don't know anything about computers at all but my laptop has been jacked up for a long time and I've been wanting a pc for gaming for a while now so I decided to start saving for a build. I put it into the custom builder thing and this is what it gave me (i changed the case) and I found some keyboard, mouse, and monitor options to choose from, but since i don't really know what to look for in the actual components I was just wondering if these were actually good components for a gaming build and if not what some better options would be. I only want to spend around $1000-$1250 on this stuff so please keep that in mind.

xbigcheezx

xbigcheezx

Tech Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't speak in detail to the AMD selection and motherboard, as I don't have a lot of experience with those, but the rest of the selections are pretty good for a budget build. Most of your build meets the standard min specs that you can buy preassembled from amazon for an entry level gaming rig.

The reason you build your own computer is to build a good foundation for upgrading it over time, so the cpu and motherboard selections become the most important parts of the build as they are typically not replaced over the life of the computer. Followed by the power supply (which prebuilt rigs use the smallest and cheapest). The case, PSU, hard drives and usually the RAM can be used in future builds with some limitations.

Go for a 550 or higher PSU, the rest looks pretty good. Don't forget to consider Intel as the i5-9600k is around 200 and outperforms the 3600xt on a similar chipset.

Since this is your first build, I highly suggest finding a local group or a buddy who has built one before to assist so you can learn from them.