• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC build for 3D CPU/GPU rendering

Q

Quan Au

Hi CGDirector,
I am looking to build a new PC this Fall for 3D rendering and Lighting/Lookdev, but potentially some animation works as well. I mainly working with Maya and Arnold at the moment, but I also getting foot on Unreal 5 and GPU-based rendering. Here's my current build with the fitting budget (around ~$3,500 USD)
https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6M1jM
The current build is in favour of GPU-rendering, but can it handle CPU render tasks as well? Other than that, can I go with another case like Lian Li for the build? Does it affect performance or cooling system down the road?

Thanks in advance!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi CGDirector,
I am looking to build a new PC this Fall for 3D rendering and Lighting/Lookdev, but potentially some animation works as well. I mainly working with Maya and Arnold at the moment, but I also getting foot on Unreal 5 and GPU-based rendering. Here's my current build with the fitting budget (around ~$3,500 USD)
https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6M1jM
The current build is in favour of GPU-rendering, but can it handle CPU render tasks as well? Other than that, can I go with another case like Lian Li for the build? Does it affect performance or cooling system down the road?

Thanks in advance!
You can upgrade that CPU to a Ryzen 9 5950X to get the best CPU rendering experience possible on that platform. It has 16 cores and 32 threads. That said, the 5900X is no slouch with 12 cores/24 threads so it depends on how much CPU rendering you plan to do and whether a roughly ~20% improvement in multi-core performance is important to your workload.

Q

Quan Au

Thanks a lot. And how about the GPU, can I go for different GPU models, like ZOTAC or TUF?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Q

Quan Au

Ah that's good to hear. I only have one last question about memory slots - do I need to fill up all 4 slots of memory, and does the memory series matter? I 've seen the same Trident Z/ RipJaw series with different names (CL16D/S/Q, CL18S/D/Q) so should I be attentive on these as well or just go for lowest price?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah that's good to hear. I only have one last question about memory slots - do I need to fill up all 4 slots of memory, and does the memory series matter? I 've seen the same Trident Z/ RipJaw series with different names (CL16D/S/Q, CL18S/D/Q) so should I be attentive on these as well or just go for lowest price?
Yep, those numbers do matter. Here's more info that will help explain what those are exactly and what to pick - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-memory-ram-amd-ryzen-cpus-3600-3700x-3900x/

Short answer - best value/performance is 3600 MHz CL16 with all 4 slots filled up.

Q

Quan Au

Thank you so much. Here's what I gathered for the build, with an upgrade for AIO cooling and the Ryzen 9 5950x:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 Cores 32 Threads AM4 Desktop Processor
  • Motherboard: Asus X570 PRIME X570-PRO/CSM AMD Motherboard
  • RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 Desktop RAM (64GB total)
  • GPU: Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3070Ti MASTER 8G Graphics Card
  • PSU: Corsair RMx White Series RM750x 750 Watt 80 PLUS Gold Certified Fully Modular PSU (AU)
  • SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB
  • CPU Cooler: SilverStone PF240W-ARGB Premium All-in-One Liquid Cooler with ARGB
  • Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini Snow + Lian Li ST120-3W 120mm ARGB PWM 1900RPM High Static Pressure Fan - 3 Pack

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
  • Motherboard: Asus X570 PRIME X570-PRO/CSM AMD Motherboard

Overall looks good to me, except for that motherboard. Any particular feature, manufacturer, or look that you're after? Most regions should have better alternatives available at that price point.

Q

Quan Au

One I could think of (that is Asus) is the Asus X570 PRIME X570-PRO/CSM AMD Motherboard, a slightly lower price point but with less PCI-e slots. I've never used MSI products before but their prices are roughly similar to Asus counterparts (~$240-$300 AUD). I'm in Australia so it's about $160-$170 in the US.

Q

Quan Au

One I could think of (that is Asus) is the Asus X570 PRIME X570-PRO/CSM AMD Motherboard, a slightly lower price point but with less PCI-e slots. I've never used MSI products before but their prices are roughly similar to Asus counterparts (~$240-$300 AUD). I'm in Australia so it's about $160-$170 in the US.
My bad, it was the Asus X570 PRIME X570-P/CSM not PRO/CSM

Reactions: Jerry James
Q

Quan Au

As for the look, I intended to go with an all-white PC case, but I also have to take into account the availability of the parts and overall budget (roughly $3700 USD).

Reactions: Jerry James