• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC Build for Adobe CC and Blender Guidance

millerstudio

millerstudio

Tech Intern
Reaction score
This has been a great website. Especially for me in being trepidatious to jumping into the PC world.

I have been an Apple Mac user for decades, and am considering switch to the PC world, mainly because of my new favorite 3D app, Blender. Since my understanding is that Blender runs better on a PC, and that Apple has abandoned Open GL for Metal, I may have been pushed over the edge.

My work also relies heavily on the Adobe Creative Suite. I do a lot of various work for clients: Graphics design, literature production, photos editing, 3D modeling, 2D illustration, and some basic video and audio work.

The apps that I use, in order from most often to least, are:
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Adobe InDesign
Blender
Adobe Premiere
Adobe Audition
Adobe After Effects

Budget is not a big issue for me since I am fortunate to have a steady flow of work (And am accustomed to Apple's pricing). Therefore, I am flexible. I did however enter $3,000 as my working budget. But, I can go higher if there is an advantage in modifying the build accordingly.

Currently I am in the habit of daily backing up my entire internal SSD to an external SSD to take with me at the end of the work day. I assume that just about any motherboard will have USB connectivity.

In the current build there is only one storage device. I am open to two, one for apps and one for data, if that would be advantageous. Also, I would consider a RAM increase if that too would be advantageous, particularly for 3D work?

In the current build I see that the Motherboard does not have a port for an SDHC card. I use a card occasionally to transfer video files. It would be a nice additional feature to have.

Since I am a PC noob coming from a Mac world I am looking for guidance. I don't know if the below configuration is the optimum for me. So, I would welcome input to better tweak the configuration to a current optimum based on my usage.

Thank you, in advance.

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6LYNK

Estimated wattage: ~434W

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk ATX AM4
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB - ZOTAC Gaming Twin Edge
Memory: 32GB (2 x 16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 C16
Storage PCIe-SSD: Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVMe Gen4 M.2 Solid State Drive
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 780T

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
For the work you have to handle, I wouldn't change much with this build. If you eventually want to get into rendering more complex stuff with Blender, you could leave enough PSU headroom so you can upgrade your graphics card without any major changes - Best Modular Power Supplies of 2021 - 550W / 650W / 850W / 1000W (cgdirector.com)

PS. Premiere Pro usually does chew through a lot of memory. So, make sure you get enough RAM.

millerstudio

millerstudio

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thanks, Jerry. Think I will up my RAM to 64GB and my PS to 850W.

millerstudio

millerstudio

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

I am thinking about modifying my build. I'd appreciate your feedback:

Memory:
If I decide to increase the RAM from 32GB to 64GB, is the following a suitable replacement?: "G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4-3600 (PC4-28800) CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GTZN" (https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-DDR4...PYG4TGZD35C&psc=1&refRID=63JGZJ75JPYG4TGZD35C)

Or, do I need to go with four (instead of two) 32GB (2 x 16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 C16, as reflected in the original build?

Power Supply:
EVGA 850 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 850W Power Supply instead of EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply, as listed in the original build.

Case:
If possible, I'd like to go with a mid-tower rather than a full-tower. I do like the look of the cases made by NZXT and Be Quiet!. Is there a model that would be compatible with my build that you could suggest? Everything (or mostly) in black. No "flash" needed. But, quiet and cooling would be the priority.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks, in advance.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

I am thinking about modifying my build. I'd appreciate your feedback:

Memory:
If I decide to increase the RAM from 32GB to 64GB, is the following a suitable replacement?: "G.Skill Trident Z NEO Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR4-3600 (PC4-28800) CL18-22-22-42 1.35V Dual Channel Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GTZN" (https://www.amazon.com/G-Skill-DDR4...PYG4TGZD35C&psc=1&refRID=63JGZJ75JPYG4TGZD35C)

Or, do I need to go with four (instead of two) 32GB (2 x 16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 C16, as reflected in the original build?

Power Supply:
EVGA 850 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 850W Power Supply instead of EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply, as listed in the original build.

Case:
If possible, I'd like to go with a mid-tower rather than a full-tower. I do like the look of the cases made by NZXT and Be Quiet!. Is there a model that would be compatible with my build that you could suggest? Everything (or mostly) in black. No "flash" needed. But, quiet and cooling would be the priority.

I look forward to your feedback.

Thanks, in advance.

Memory: Well, you lose a bit of latency by going with the first kit. Are both kits at similar prices?

PSU: Yep, it's good to have leeway.

Case: beQuiet! cases are great for a black build and are generally my go-to cases for good performance, low noise, and a toned-down, all-black look. Pick one of their mid towers and you should be good to go. I like their Silent Base and Pure Base series.