• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC Build for VFX freelancer (3D work and 2D compositing)

D

Dash

Hi, i am planning to build a PC for my freelance work.

My work will be mainly focused on 3D rendering, 2D Compositing and video editing.

The main softwares that I will be using are:

3D work: Maya, Substance Painter, Unreal Engine, Redshift

2D work: The Foundry Nuke, Silhouette, Photoshop, After Effects, Davinci Ressolve.

I am looking for a balanced build as I will be using lot of CPU (Nuke, After Effects) as well as GPU (Unreal Engine, Redshift). Also, since I am doing freelance I also need to be able to deliver quick turn arounds, iterations.

I am looking at around ~1500 USD in budget.

Here is my idea so far:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 3700x

GPU: GALAX Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB DDR6 EX

MOtherboard: ASRock B450 Pro 4

RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX PC21000 16GB (2X8GB)

Would love to hear advice for this. Any suggestions?

D

Dash

Addition: People are saying that i should go with Ryzen for my processor, but for my GPU i am still debating whether to get RTX for the sole reason of its Unreal raytracing support. So if there is cheaper but better cards i am willing to sacrifice my raytracing dreams 😁

Thank you very much. Love the website!

F

Francesco

In my opinion you should install more memory (32GB iso 16GB) because memory needs with graphic software (esp. with big files) tends to be very high; and it is not the most costly part of a build.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
As Francesco said, I'd definitely look into grabbing additional memory (32GB should be good enough for the apps you mentioned, unless you're handling heavy workloads, in which case you might need even more).

Also, the motherboard definitely needs a change. I'd recommend picking out something from these recommendations if you want something more budget-oriented - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-b550-motherboards/

D

Dash

I see I will look into it! Thank you.

Also i forgot to add my Power supply:
Digital Alliance Gaming PSU 600W 80+ Bronze

D

Dash

As Francesco said, I'd definitely look into grabbing additional memory (32GB should be good enough for the apps you mentioned, unless you're handling heavy workloads).

Also, the motherboard definitely needs a change. I'd recommend picking out something from these recommendations if you want something more budget-oriented - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-b550-motherboards/

The Ryzen 3700x should do fine for most of your apps. However, I know a few professionals who work with Nuke and they say the experience with Intel's 10th Generation CPUs is better for that specific app. What apps would you be using primarily?

Thank you i will look into the motherboard.

Primarily I will be using Nuke and Maya/Redshift render. Which Intel processor do you reccommend?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you i will look into the motherboard.

Primarily I will be using Nuke and Maya/Redshift render. Which Intel processor do you reccommend?

I see I will look into it! Thank you.

Also i forgot to add my Power supply:
Digital Alliance Gaming PSU 600W 80+ Bronze

About the PSU, I haven't really encountered that particular brand. I'd recommend going with a more known brand with a long warranty.

As for the processor, anything within your budget will work just fine for Nuke. It's not very core heavy and relies on quick computations on a few cores. Since you're shopping in the 3700x region, you could go with the Core i5 10600K instead. That said, you will trade 2 cores and 4 threads to gain that performance, which will result in worse performance in apps like Resolve and Cinema 4D.

D

dashman

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
About the PSU, I haven't really encountered that particular brand. I'd recommend going with a more known brand with a long warranty.

As for the processor, anything within your budget will work just fine for Nuke. It's not very core heavy and relies on quick computations on a few cores. Since you're shopping in the 3700x region, you could go with the Core i5 10600K instead. That said, you will trade 2 cores and 4 threads to gain that performance, which will result in worse performance in apps like Resolve and Cinema 4D.

Hi Jerry, thank you for help! I have updated my built on a new thread using a proper account now. I would if you could check it out. Thank you!