• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC Build, is my config ok or would you change something?

oonabe

oonabe

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to order this PC this same week, I'm just waiting for the money to arrive and will order as soon as I can as I need a new PC to work on my projects.

First of all I want to get a PC for CG work, mainly for animations but also capable of calculating physics as I pretend to include water and liquid simulations, environments with a lot of trees, characters... textures are also important for close up views. I am mainly working with blender and I also want to learn houdini at a later point and use them as my main tools together with some Photoshop and Premiere for post processing.

I also have a parallel project involving jewelry where I want to render pieces with a lot of geometry, so I guess I'll have to get both a good CPU and a good GPU to compute everything I have in mind. I'm not interested in PC gaming, even when I play regularly I prefer to use a gaming console and keep my PC free of games that might take a lot of hard drive space.

With that said, these are the current specs for the PC I have in mind, I'm already at the limit of my budget, so if you think I might change some components that might be a better option than what I have on my list please consider alternatives on the same price range. Thanks in advance to anyone who's willing to answer and nice to be here, this seems like the right place to ask for this kind of questions and share knowledge...

PC Box: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX black (ATX)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
CPU cooling: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim (160W)
RAM: 64 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Series DIMM Kit 3200 MHz (4x 16GB)
GPU: 10 GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 ASUS TUF GAMING OC
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (Chipsatz: X570 / ATX)
Main drive: 1 TB M.2 PCIe x4 - Corsair Force Series MP600 NVMe SSD
Data drive: 2 TB SATA III WD Blue 3D NAND SSD
Power supply: 1250 Watt - Chieftec Power Smart GPS-1250C - 80+ Gold / partly modular (I know I don't need that much power but the 850W seem to be not available at this shop until late February so I decided to go for this one)

oonabe

oonabe

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I have already ordered it with some light changes, so I guess this thread can be closed :)

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have changed a thing anyway :) It's well-researched and pretty much spot on already.

Reactions: oonabe