• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC Builder Built me a PC, Now I have Questions!

• Thread starter YouNeedNotApply
  • Start date
Y

YouNeedNotApply

HI!! I am very excited and even more nervous to get into PC building, I'm starting my journey from nothing and I've only looked through a couple articles on what everything does. I went through the CG director PC builder and as it mentioned on the article I went through the builder under the video editing selection even though I'm mainly going to use the PC for gaming. I plan to play any and all games I can get my hands on but what I want to run the best is Minecraft, smoothly enough to at least play regular single player with no lag, and preferably be able to add mods and/or shaders with minimal to no lag as well. Since I'm entirely new to this I am asking all of your guys' opinions on this build and what I'd be able to change/ if all of this would be fine for my plans with it. PCs in general are expensive but this fits really nicely into my budget I think. I hope to get and build a pc soon so I would also appreciate any tips/videos anyone has to helping me with that process when I do get all the parts.

without further ado, here is the build that the builder gave me:

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6N8ie

CPU: Intel Core i5 12600K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($266.99)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B660-PLUS DDR4 ATX LGA1700 ($154.01)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660TI 6GB - Gigabyte Windforce ($386.08)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($74.99)
Storage SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.79)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB M.2 Solid State Drive ($107.14)
Storage HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Compute 4TB, 3.5" ($67.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series RM650x 650W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($97.54)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.64)
Total: $1460.07

YouNeedNotApply

YouNeedNotApply

Tech Intern
Reaction score
This is my post by the way I just didn't make an account before posting the thread WHOOPS!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
HI!! I am very excited and even more nervous to get into PC building, I'm starting my journey from nothing and I've only looked through a couple articles on what everything does. I went through the CG director PC builder and as it mentioned on the article I went through the builder under the video editing selection even though I'm mainly going to use the PC for gaming. I plan to play any and all games I can get my hands on but what I want to run the best is Minecraft, smoothly enough to at least play regular single player with no lag, and preferably be able to add mods and/or shaders with minimal to no lag as well. Since I'm entirely new to this I am asking all of your guys' opinions on this build and what I'd be able to change/ if all of this would be fine for my plans with it. PCs in general are expensive but this fits really nicely into my budget I think. I hope to get and build a pc soon so I would also appreciate any tips/videos anyone has to helping me with that process when I do get all the parts.

without further ado, here is the build that the builder gave me:

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6N8ie

CPU: Intel Core i5 12600K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($266.99)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B660-PLUS DDR4 ATX LGA1700 ($154.01)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660TI 6GB - Gigabyte Windforce ($386.08)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($74.99)
Storage SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.79)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB M.2 Solid State Drive ($107.14)
Storage HDD: Seagate BarraCuda Compute 4TB, 3.5" ($67.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series RM650x 650W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($97.54)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.64)
Total: $1460.07
The build looks alright to me. You can leave out those multiple storage options (remove the HDD and 1 SSD) if you'd like. Upgrade that GPU to something current like an RTX 3060, and you should be good to go :)

PS. You could also drop the CPU down to an Intel Core i5 12400F to save a few bucks if needed. There won't be too much performance variation between the two when using a mid-range graphics card.