• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC built for Video Editing and Animation or MacBook Pro coming next year??

R

rene_l

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi community,

I am in the need (or will be soon) for a transportable workstation, mainly for Adobe Premiere and After Effects. Also Photoshop, sometimes Davinci, once in a while Cinema4D.

I currently work on a 2017 MacBook Pro 15“ (2,9ghz, 16gb RAM, Radeon Pro 560 4 GB) and on a Desktop Windows PC (Ryzen 9 3900x, 64gb, RTX2080ti).
I love the workstation PC (but it is not mine and I can’t take it anywhere.) My MacBook Pro on the other hand performances horribly in a way that I actually was already thinking of saying good-bye to apple after more then 20 years :)

However, what about the M1 or even the upcoming M2?

If I would built a transportable workstation PC right now I would probably go back to Intel (because another live-video-software I am using seems to perform smoother with intel).
My idea was an Mini-ITX with an i7-11700k + 64gb + 2 NVMi m2 drives + an RTX2080ti or similar (GPU not decided).
Clear disadvantage: it’s not a Laptop, no working in trains or wherever mobility is needed.
Clear advantage: less costs and modular.

So what is your opinion:
Is Mini-ITX with an i7-11700k + 64gb + 2 NVMi m2 drives + an RTX2080ti at all a good idea?
Or would it make more sense to wait for the M2 MacBook Pro 16“ coming out next year?

Also: Someone was suggestion combining a MacMini with an iPad Pro, as it still has at least some mobility and the iPad can be used as Monitor for the Mini. I wouldn’t go for a MacMini, but the set itself seems interesting. Is there a similar option for PC? What tablet would do that?

I am not really starting to upgrade right away. Just starting to collect ideas and get orientated…

Thanks on any thoughts.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm the M2 rumours are all over the place so it could go either way.
Any app that's been built for M1 has been performing surprisingly well. So, if your work isn't very 'core-heavy', it could be a very decent choice for an on-the-go workstation. Unfortunately, because the M1 is so new, there's no real way to know for sure until many people take the plunge and grab one to report how it affected their CG workflow. Apple doesn't really send out too many samples so we haven't been able to test it out.

If you're going Mini-ITX, I would steer away from Intel tbh. The power draw and heat aren't worth the hassle in an SFF build. If you need more cores for your work, then an SFF PC does make sense.

R

rene_l

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey Jerry,

thanks for answering and for your advices. Having thought about my travel-routines, maybe it really is wiser to go for a laptop-Workstation.
Are there any non-Macintoshs you would recommend?
As said: it's for video-content production (After Effects, Premiere and 3D)

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there any non-Macintoshs you would recommend?
There are quite a few good models launching these days. Anything with Ryzen 5000 processors and discrete Nvidia 3000 graphics would be an excellent pick. Because models vary so wildly region-wise, it'd be better if you can hunt for options with that hardware in your region and post what you can find within your price range. Can check em out :)