• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC for 3D Rendering, Motion Graphics, Photoscanning, Video Editing... the list is long.

A

akadolypse

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello there!

Due to a Bachelors project in the upcoming year, I will need a new Computer.
The primary tasks will be advanced particle simulations in Houdini, rendering/working in Cinema 4D and Unreal.
Other tools that I use frequently are Metashape for photoscanning and Davinci Resolve for editing. The adobe Cloud with After Effects and Photoshop is also something that is used very frequently... As I understand it, I need a lot of capable cores and threads. :)
The budget lies around 1900€ to max 2000€. I'm currently based in Germany.

To be honest the most important aspect to me would be reliability. I need a platform that, if need be, is able to calculate/work for days without crashing.

The past week I tried my best to put different systems together with the super awesome guides on this side, (Thank you!) but still, without really knowing what I'm doing. I went back and forth on the AMD Ryzen 9 7950X because of it's high power usage. If it would come to this processor I'd tend to use the 105W Eco mode (Gamers Nexus, AMD Ryzen Eco Mode Deep-Dive,
).

Ryzen 9 7950X Build:
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/zkqBpH

The issue I'm having with this build is that for one it's quite expensive, the other would be that the maximum RAM Speeds are at 3600Mhz in a 4 slot configuration. ((Specifications of the processor: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7950x))

Max Memory Speed:
4x1R DDR5-3600
4x2R DDR5-3600

I'm not sure if this makes sense to be honest. Is a build with the 7950X a good choice at the moment?

Another build with the Ryzen 9 5950X:

-> Could I fit an additional Graphicscard in here?

I do have a RTX 3070 Gaming Z Trio from MSI, a 970 EVO Plus and additional HDD's and SSD'S "lying around".

I'd be super happy if someone could give me a reality check and tell me, if I'm on the right track. Or if I'm just really wrong.

Thanks!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
The primary tasks will be advanced particle simulations in Houdini, rendering/working in Cinema 4D and Unreal.
Yes, as you say, particle simulations demand a ton of cores. So, you could also go with a Ryzen 9 5950X without giving up too much performance. The Ryzen 9 7950X has much higher single-core speed, though, which translates to smoother viewports and a snappier experience in general. Completely depends on your budget. Picking Ryzen 7000 also means pricier RAM and motherboard, so that's something to keep in mind.
The issue I'm having with this build is that for one it's quite expensive, the other would be that the maximum RAM Speeds are at 3600Mhz in a 4 slot configuration. ((Specifications of the processor: https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7950x))
Those are most likely the minimum spec. I've seen well upwards of that number with 4 sticks.
-> Could I fit an additional Graphicscard in here?
If you opt for 2-slot models, sure. But those are becoming quite rare these days, sadly.