• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC for AI + real-time 3D rendering

K

kianss

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Friends,

I am building a PC workstation primarily for training AI models and additionally for real-time 3D rendering. I picked the following parts and would appreciate any recommendation and whether these are compatible.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor
  • PNY RTX A-Series RTX A5000 24 GB Video Card
  • be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
  • MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard
  • G.Skill Ripjaws S5 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory
  • Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Cooler Master MasterCase SL600M Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Corsair AX1200 1200 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

The considerations that I have in mind are:
  • Use case:
    • Primarily training of Artificial Intelligence models that need to run at maximum performance for days non-stop.
    • Additional use case will be real-time rendering.
  • The workstation needs to be future proof and have the possibility of upgrade including memory size of at least 128 GB and increasing number of GPUs to 2 x RTX A5000.
  • Optimal power consumption footprint.
  • Effective cooling since the workstation should be able run at maximum performance continuously for days without interruption by internal heat or home electric circuit system.
  • Operating system will be Ubuntu.
  • The workstation will be operated mainly through remote desktop; paired with laptop.
  • Misc: high speed internet connection, ...
  • The parts are purchased in Canada/US.
  • Budget: <6k CAD will be perfect; lower better given above :)
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I am building a PC workstation primarily for training AI models and additionally for real-time 3D rendering. I picked the following parts and would appreciate any recommendation and whether these are compatible.
No issues at all :) Go right ahead. You could switch to more powerful CPU cooling using a 360mm AIO Liquid cooler (Arctic Freezer or MSI Coreliquid, etc.). But other than that, no changes needed!

Reactions: kianss
K

kianss

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thanks for your response; it gives me extra confidence to go ahead and build the system :)
The reason I went with Fan cooling is that I have heard from multiple sources that it's a safer option for AI training jobs that needs to be able to run for multiple days without cooling/power interruption but I am interested in hearing your perspective on this.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
The reason I went with Fan cooling is that I have heard from multiple sources that it's a safer option for AI training jobs that needs to be able to run for multiple days without cooling/power interruption but I am interested in hearing your perspective on this.
Well, yeah from a reliability and long-lasting solution POV, nothing beats a good air cooler. It's mainly meant for those who want a quieter computing experience.

Reactions: kianss
K

kianss

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Well, yeah from a reliability and long-lasting solution POV, nothing beats a good air cooler. It's mainly meant for those who want a quieter computing experience.
Thank you very much for your inputs!