• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC Part Advice: Do these prices seem reasonable?

J

John

Context/ Requirements

Note:
I am based in the UK so discussions are from this perspective

I am currently looking into getting a new PC and ideally am looking for something top of the range which will last a while.
The PC should be able to play current triple AAA titles along with future ones in the years to come. Also it should be able to handle video editing and processing along with potential Machine Learning applications (running Neural Nets and other models locally).

With the next-generation architecture of CPUs, Motherboards, RAM being released or at least being planned for release in the imminent future I want something which would still work 3-4 years down the line and ultimately allow for easy upgradability too ie not a DDR4 only motherboard since if I want to upgrade RAM in say 2 years and its DDR5 is common stuff would have to change the entire board.

Current Selection

Due to the current GPU situation along with wanting to be able to get a build fully completed as soon as possible I have been searching for providers who can allow for the creation of customizable PCs (PC building companies) rather than building it myself.

I stumbled across Cyberpower UK who seem good and I subsequently customized one of their builds.

I have copied below the PC description from the saved quote (can't seem to be able to upload a screenshot or the PDF itself) which gives information on the proposed parts along with their total quoted prices.

Infinity DDR5-129 Gaming PC (NO MONITOR)

£3516 ex. VAT (£4219.2 in VAT)
*BASE_PRICE: [+3058]
Today's Special Offers: None
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black Mid-Tower Dual Chamber Gaming Chassis
Fans & ARGB Upgrades: 3x 120mm Cyberpower Addressable Dual Light Loop RGB 1350RPM Fans with Remote
Control [+26] (ARGB Light Strip Upgrade: 1x Cyberpower ARGB Magnetic Strips)
Cyberpower Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU (Processor): Intel® Core™ i9-12900K - 16-Core [8P @ 3.20GHz-5.20GHz / 8E @ 2.40GHz-3.90GHz] - 30MB
Cache + UHD Graphics, Ultimate OC Compatible
CPU Overclocking: No Overclocking
CPU Cooling: MSI Coreliquid 360R 360mm RGB Liquid Cooler, Ultimate OC Compatible
Coolant for Cyberpower Hyper Liquid II Cooling Kit: None Selected
Second Coolant for Cyberpower Hyper Liquid II Cooling Kit (Dual Loop Only): None Selected
Motherboard: MSI Z690 Carbon WIFI DDR5: ATX w/USB3.2, 5x M.2
Memory (RAM): 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5/4800mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston Fury Beast w/Heat Spreader)
Graphics Card (GPU): EVGA GeForce® RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12GB - Ray Tracing Technology, DX12®,
VR Ready, HDMI, DP - 4 MIN. Monitor Support (Single Card)
Graphics Card Freebies: GeForce RTX Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Bundle (Standard Edition) – Digital Code
Video Capture: Elgato 4K60 Pro MK.2 Game Capture Card (Internal PCI-e 4x) Capture Gameplay in 4K at 60 fps and
Live Stream to Twitch and YouTube [+176]
PSU (Power Supply): Corsair RM1000X 1000W 80+ Gold Modular Gaming Power Supply [+46]
PSU Braided Cable: None Selected
Solid State Drive (SSD): None Selected
SSD Freebies: None Selected
M.2 SSD Drive: 1TB (1x1TB) Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD - 7000MB/s Read & 5000MB/s Write [+56]
(Single Drive)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive: 500GB (1x500GB) Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD - 3500MB/s Read & 3300MB/s
Write [+68] (Single Drive)
Hard Drive (HDD & SSHD): 2TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive [+42] (1 Drive)
RAID (Stripe or Mirror): None Selected
Optical Drive (BLU-Ray / DVD / DVD-RW): None Selected
External And Portable Storage (USB / HDD / SSD): None
External Optical Drive: None Selected
Memory Card Reader: None Selected
Internal USB Hub: Built-in USB Ports
Wireless Networking: None Selected
Wireless USB Adaptor: None Selected
Wired Networking: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs
Sound Cards: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD AUDIO
Monitor: None Selected
Virtual Reality Headsets: None Selected
Speakers: None Selected
Headset: None
Keyboard: None Selected
Mouse: None Selected
Mouse Pad: None
Controllers: None
Webcam: None
Microphones: None
Streamer Gear: None Selected
Home Networking (Routers, Powerline Adapters & Switches) : None
Bluetooth Adaptors: None Selected
Cables and Adaptors: None
Power & Surge Protection: None
USB Port and Hub: Built-in USB Ports
Ultra Care Option: Cooler Master MasterGel Thermal Paste [+5]
Ultra Enhanced Packaging Solution Mid Tower - Protect Your Dream System During Transit [+14]
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro (64-bit Edition) [+25] (No Recovery Media)
Internet Browser: None
Software: None
Fast Track Service: Standard Processing Time. Estimated Shipping Date: Thursday, 25/11/2021
Warranty Service: DESKTOP STANDARD WARRANTY: 5 Years' Labour, 2 Years' Parts, 6 Months' Collect and Return
plus Life-Time Technical Support
*_PRICE: (+3516

Questions

I have a list of questions that ultimately comes down to
  • Can someone break down this build and suggest potential issues about it?
  • Does this seem like a reasonable price?
  • Are my parts a good selection?
  • Are they a trustworthy good company?
    • I have seen multiple posts from different sites where some say they are ok and others say they aren't that good (and to buy separate and build yourself rather than having them build)
    • Here are some sample threads relating to the matter (haven't added some of the bad reviews)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Can someone break down this build and suggest potential issues about it?
No glaring issues as such. If you're going for the very best on the market, this build should do the trick.

• Does this seem like a reasonable price?
Considering how hard it is to find graphics cards nowadays, it's an okay price I'd say. Not the greatest deal or anything, but not too shabby if you value the service, warranty, and stuff like that.

• Are my parts a good selection?
Yep, no issues

Are they a trustworthy good company?
We don't have experience with them directly, but you can watch an undercover interaction by Linus Tech Tips with them (19:28) here -
They also have a part two where they inspect the PC they got from each company.

• I have seen multiple posts from different sites where some say they are ok and others say they aren't that good (and to buy separate and build yourself rather than having them build)
Yep, for a company of that size, there'll always be good and bad experiences. The best way to avoid ambiguity is always to build yourself. However, in the current market, this comes with an asterisk: *build yourself if you can find a reasonably-priced graphics card.