• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC won't turn on

AB787

AB787

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a PC which won't turn on after power off.
The only way to get it starting again is to switch the power off then on again at the power unit.

Does anyone have an answer to why this is happening?
Thank you in advance

Cheers

D

DKenn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Sounds like the PSU has lost a few watts - how old is the PC?

A

abn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Sounds like the PSU has lost a few watts - how old is the PC?
Hi DKenn,

The PC is not that old.
It's approximately 10 months old.

Cheers

D

DKenn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
I would not expect a sufficiently sized PSU of 10 months old to have this problem. That said, testing it with a different power supply would be a prudent next step.

If the unit is within 12 months old it should have a warranty with the manufacturer/supplier - have you contacted them yet?

A

abn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I would not expect a sufficiently sized PSU of 10 months old to have this problem. That said, testing it with a different power supply would be a prudent next step.

If the unit is within 12 months old it should have a warranty with the manufacturer/supplier - have you contacted them yet?

Hi,

I did indeed have problems turning on the PC in the beginning and I took the PSU back, they tested it and found nothing wrong.
I reinstalled the PSU and it has been working ever since but..... it occasionally doesnt turn on.
Should the motherboard's lights still be on if there's completely no power?
My motherboard still have the lights going but PC won't turn on unless I do the off, on action to PSU.

I've read somewhere that if the CPU isn't getting adequate cooling it could cause the system to go kaput
I'm starting to think that could be the cause ...

Anyway I'm still figuring out the root cause.

Cheers,

D

DKenn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
The motherboard can still have lights on without the PSU spinning up.

A overheating CPU can cause any number of problems, however it has to get hot first. A heat damaged CPU will typically make the system unusable.

If your PC was on my workbench - I would try a different (higher wattage) PSU!

A

abn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
The motherboard can still have lights on without the PSU spinning up.

A overheating CPU can cause any number of problems, however it has to get hot first. A heat damaged CPU will typically make the system unusable.

If your PC was on my workbench - I would try a different (higher wattage) PSU!

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, I'll try that and see if problem persists...

I'm currently on 1000W, I'll go to 1500W.

Thanks,
Cheers

D

DKenn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Can I assume this is a gaming computer (1000W is a large PSU for a normal computer)? I should have asked for more details about the PC.

A

abn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Can I assume this is a gaming computer (1000W is a large PSU for a normal computer)? I should have asked for more details about the PC.

Hi,

Well my intended built was a workstation, although I have a gaming GPU I don't use it for gaming.

I went on Cool Master's supply power calculator page and did a calculation based of my parts and they recommended 911Watts.

Cheers

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I went on Cool Master's supply power calculator page and did a calculation based of my parts and they recommended 911Watts.
Should be fine with a 1000W PSU then, tbh as CM overprovisions by a bit when calculating. As @DKenn said, trying a different PSU would be the best way to check whether it's a power supply issue. Sounds like a PSU-related issue to me.

Have you tried shorting the power ON pins to eliminate your case's power button as the problem area? See if your PC boots up when you touch a screwdriver to your motherboard's power pins.

A

abn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Should be fine with a 1000W PSU then, tbh as CM overprovisions by a bit when calculating. As @DKenn said, trying a different PSU would be the best way to check whether it's a power supply issue. Sounds like a PSU-related issue to me.

Have you tried shorting the power ON pins to eliminate your case's power button as the problem area? See if your PC boots up when you touch a screwdriver to your motherboard's power pins.

Hi Jerry,

I have no idea how to perform what you recommended as I am not that advanced but I will do more research on that technique.

In the beginning it happened alot... one day I decided to take one side off the tower and it powered on fine.
I noticed when I push the system hard to the point where heat is apparent or on hot days, that's when it will say 'no' I wont power on.

Cheers

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you mean that your PC suddenly turns off and then doesn't turn on for a while?

A

abn

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Do you mean that your PC suddenly turns off and then doesn't turn on for a while?

Hi,

My computer doesn't do that thankfully but it doesn't turn on after I've turned it off.
In order to get it going again I need to either,

Turn the power off then on at power point.
1696268722742.jpeg

or

Switching the psu to off then on
images

Its coming into summer where I am and I'm noticing it's happening more often, in winter no problems at all.
I think my PSU is going through menopause 😅

Anyhow I'll change the PSU out and see what will happen?

Cheers

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

My computer doesn't do that thankfully but it doesn't turn on after I've turned it off.
In order to get it going again I need to either,

Turn the power off then on at power point.
View attachment 251

or

Switching the psu to off then on
images

Its coming into summer where I am and I'm noticing it's happening more often, in winter no problems at all.
I think my PSU is going through menopause 😅

Anyhow I'll change the PSU out and see what will happen?

Cheers
Seems like some sort of protection (OCP, OTP, etc.) failing in the PSU, which is why a toggle seems to fix it. Swapping out the unit should (most likely) sort it out.