• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Power connection for ASUS WS X299 Sage

Jeroen

Jeroen

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi

My MB documentation suggests that I can connect an extra powersupply using a 6 pin connecter as an option, see capture 2.
However, the cableset of my powersupply (Superflower leadex platinum 2000W) does not include a cable that will fit, so I use a single 8 pin connector.

So I have now connected positions 1 + 2 (see capture1), position 4 is the suggested extra 6 pin connector and position 3 is a second 8 pin connector.

My system includes;
  • intel core i9 7900X with watercooler, running at standard 4300MHz
  • 8x16Gb memory, 2666MHz Kingston hyperfury
  • 4xRTX2080ti
I do not attempt overclocking, I am primarily interested in stability & reliability.

At first, everything seemed to be working fine but then (when I used my system for rendering heavy scenes or baking large simulations) I experienced random crashes. I used MemTest64 and it showed memory errors.
In order to fix memory errors I have increased RAM voltage from default 1.2V to 1.3V (I tried 1.25V, but that still showed errors), after I increased memory voltage, my system runs perfectly stable.

My questions;
  1. Is this voltage increase safe for my system? I use CPUID's hardware monitor , and I do not notice harmful temperatures but as far as I can see it does not monitor RAM temperature directly.
  2. Could it be that not beeing able to use the extra 6 pin connector has something to do with this memory problem? I would like to try that out but I have no idea how to do that.
The documentation of my MB is unclear whether you are supposed to connect position 4 directly from the powersupply or from position 3 on my MB.
I tried getting an answer from both ASUS and Superflower, but without succes.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks for taking a look at this.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    210.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jeroen,

1) yep, you should have no issues with that voltage. Do check for stability by running some benchmarks and load tests like Prime95.

2) Are both your top CPU power pins plugged in? (EATX12V1 and EATX12V2)

You can have both the top power pins connected and a 7900X should work just fine. They should allow you to draw more than enough current to work at full capacity. You can safely ignore the third one (EATX12V3). Does your PSU have two 8-pin CPU power connectors?

Reactions: Jeroen
Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
PS. If your PSU comes with just one 8-pin and one 6-pin CPU power connectors, you can plug just those in. Use EATX12V1 and EATX12V3. Ignore the other one. That should work just as well too.

Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jeroen
Jeroen

Jeroen

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi Jerry,

I never realized that I could also connect both top 8-pin slots to the PSU, so I did what you suggested and set RAM voltage back to default.
Result; memory issue fixed!

Thanks a million for helping me out!

• Love
Reactions: Alex Glawion and Jerry James
C

Cedric

Hi Jerry: I bought the Asus WS X299 Sage. Instruction manual, instructs to connect 24 pin, (2) 8 pins and or (1) 6 pin. The computer will not power on connecting the 24 pin, with both 8 pins and or (1) 6 pin. Oddly the computer powers on with just the 24 pin. Is the mother board defective, given this is the 2nd Asus mother board giving me the same issues? Lastly is it safe to use computer with with just the 24 pin?
Thanks Cj

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jerry: I bought the Asus WS X299 Sage. Instruction manual, instructs to connect 24 pin, (2) 8 pins and or (1) 6 pin. The computer will not power on connecting the 24 pin, with both 8 pins and or (1) 6 pin. Oddly the computer powers on with just the 24 pin. Is the mother board defective, given this is the 2nd Asus mother board giving me the same issues? Lastly is it safe to use computer with with just the 24 pin?
Thanks Cj
Could you post motherboard pictures of both configs where the power cables are visible? One that isn't working and the one where the PC does power on.

N

New SAGE Owner

Hello Jerry, I plan to run x6 3080 ti on this motherboard with x2 1600w EVGA PSUs. Can you recommend the best way to connect these and sufficiently power the board? Many thanks!

N

New SAGE Owner

Thanks Cj
I think the manual is referring to (2) 8pin as "step 2". So, 24pin, 8pin... OR 8pin + 6pin. Thats how I interpret that, its a little confusing.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Jerry, I plan to run x6 3080 ti on this motherboard with x2 1600w EVGA PSUs. Can you recommend the best way to connect these and sufficiently power the board? Many thanks!
Oh if you're running that many GPUs, you'll probably need somewhat of a rack unit to do it properly. Something like this setup -
1633504837421.png

You could use risers to accommodate up to 5 on the Phanteks Enthoo 719 as well if you want a more traditional case.

@Alex Glawion probably has more insight to get something like this going. IMO, an open-air rack is the best solution if you have a safe space to set it up.