• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Ram Upgrade: 2166MHz to 3600 MHz worth it?

P

Peter Sunna

Hello all,

For my C4D workstation I have recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5950X (that's on a ASUS Rog Strix X470-F Gaming MoBo).
For RAM I currently have 64GB at 2166MHz and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to RAM at 3600MHz?
I do GPU rendering on a couple of RTX 3080s but I'm curious if the faster RAM will help with CPU intensive task such as X-Particles and simulations?

Many thanks in advance!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

For my C4D workstation I have recently upgraded my CPU to a Ryzen 5950X (that's on a ASUS Rog Strix X470-F Gaming MoBo).
For RAM I currently have 64GB at 2166MHz and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading to RAM at 3600MHz?
I do GPU rendering on a couple of RTX 3080s but I'm curious if the faster RAM will help with CPU intensive task such as X-Particles and simulations?

Many thanks in advance!
If you're doing any kind of active work on that machine (in the viewport, etc.), definitely well worth the upgrade I'd say. For rendering, not so much. Simulations are again very core-bound, so theoretically, shouldn't see that big an uplift. Haven't tested this out to say for sure.
You can use this as a sort of indicator though -

Any benchmarks where fewer core Ryzen/Intel CPUs beat Threadrippers, it's likely that you'll see a performance uplift with 3600 RAM.

P

Peter Sunna

Thanks Jerry! Very informative and I appreciate the help!

Reactions: Jerry James