• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Universal laptop for motion design, rendering and photography.

E

Eugene

I need an advice on choosing a laptop. I work with all sorts of 'art' stuff — photography, objects, 3d Printing, manufacturing. That is adobe applications, DaVinci, blender, photogrammetry. I move towards animation and motion design (C4d+AE+DaVinci)

I already have a 27" external screen.

In my current circumstances, I have to be always ready to move. Seems like I need something universal and capable of handling my usual graphic design work, video editing, and 3d. However, I have quite limited experience working with complex things on a laptop.

At the moment I am considering 2 models:

1. Asus ROG Zephyrus M16 GU603HR-K8021T
Intel Core i9 11900H Tiger Lake, 16" IPS 2560 × 1600, RAM 32GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, SSD 2000GB

I don't like that hot air hits the screen. I had a very bad experience with one of my MacBook Pros under a heavy load. After a few months, the screen has lost color uniformity in the areas right above the vent holes.

2. The second option is MSI GS66 Stealth 11UH-229.
Intel Core i7-11800H, 32GB RAM DDR4, 15.6" 165Hz IPS-level QHD (100% DCI-P3), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 16GB GDDR6 (Boost Clock 1365MHz, MGP 95W), 1TB SSD

3. There are multiple MSI 'creator' models, but they seem inferior in comparison with gaming designs. Same money, weaker insides, but pleasing look.

What do you think about these models?
What would you recommend based on your experience?

Thanks

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I need an advice on choosing a laptop. I work with all sorts of 'art' stuff — photography, objects, 3d Printing, manufacturing. That is adobe applications, DaVinci, blender, photogrammetry. I move towards animation and motion design (C4d+AE+DaVinci)

I already have a 27" external screen.

In my current circumstances, I have to be always ready to move. Seems like I need something universal and capable of handling my usual graphic design work, video editing, and 3d. However, I have quite limited experience working with complex things on a laptop.

At the moment I am considering 2 models:

1. Asus ROG Zephyrus M16 GU603HR-K8021T
Intel Core i9 11900H Tiger Lake, 16" IPS 2560 × 1600, RAM 32GB DDR4, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB, SSD 2000GB

I don't like that hot air hits the screen. I had a very bad experience with one of my MacBook Pros under a heavy load. After a few months, the screen has lost color uniformity in the areas right above the vent holes.

2. The second option is MSI GS66 Stealth 11UH-229.
Intel Core i7-11800H, 32GB RAM DDR4, 15.6" 165Hz IPS-level QHD (100% DCI-P3), NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 16GB GDDR6 (Boost Clock 1365MHz, MGP 95W), 1TB SSD

3. There are multiple MSI 'creator' models, but they seem inferior in comparison with gaming designs. Same money, weaker insides, but pleasing look.

What do you think about these models?
What would you recommend based on your experience?

Thanks
I would pick option #2, purely from a hardware PoV. What's the hardware offered by those MSI creator laptops?

Also, check out Lenovo options in that price range.