• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Video Card Upgrade - AMD Threadripper Build (Bottleneck)

J

jorgeireyes

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hello, hope everyone is well. A friend of mine currently has this build:

AMD 2950X
64GB RAM (2666Mhz)
RTX 2080 8GB
3 x 32in 4k Monitors @ 60hz

*****I’m recommending him to upgrade his current video card to:

RTX 4080 16GB

The reason for the suggestion is the VRAM consumption due to the 3 screens and the viewport. He mostly uses and changes his rendering to be GPU based. I’ve done some research and the RTX 2080 8GB that he currently has sometimes is not powerful enough (VRAM-wise) to run all 3 screens and render on one of them efficiently. Any thoughts?

He uses Blender for all his rendering and SONY Vegas for video editing for the most part with the occasional FL Studio for his personal music creation.

NOTE: He’s only planning on upgrading the video card, not the system.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
He uses Blender for all his rendering and SONY Vegas for video editing for the most part with the occasional FL Studio for his personal music creation.
I think the first upgrade should probably be that CPU. It's kinda old now and will bottleneck workloads like video editing and music production.

the RTX 2080 8GB that he currently has sometimes is not powerful enough (VRAM-wise) to run all 3 screens and render on one of them efficiently
Really depends on the complexity and size of the scenes he usually works with. Running 3 monitors doesn't pose a challenge for an RTX 2080.

*****I’m recommending him to upgrade his current video card to:

RTX 4080 16GB
If there's a noticeable slowdown in a particular workload or if he needs to get renders done faster, makes sense.

J

jorgeireyes

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I agree. That's what I was going to recommend but this is one of those non-technologically savvy people who got this prior system because it was purchased for them. Hence convincing them to spend on a new build is difficult... -_-

I honestly think he'd be fine with an AMD 5000, 7000 series, or an Intel chipset for their level or rendering and editing although most people will insist on staying in Threadripper.

I know the 3 monitors can be handled by the RTX 2080 8GB, but he usually has Blender on one, SONY Vegas on the other, and either streaming services or browsing on the third. Just by looking at the processes it's hitting 80-95% load when rendering (GPU). I thought about the newer card as a slight future-proof at least until they can upgrade the rest of the system.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I know the 3 monitors can be handled by the RTX 2080 8GB, but he usually has Blender on one, SONY Vegas on the other, and either streaming services or browsing on the third.
That's still more of a CPU workload (juggling multiple apps). As for consistently hitting 80+ loads on the GPU, that's pretty normal if he's rendering on the GPU. Even an RTX 4090 will peg at 100% if given a heavy-enough render. It's more about how fast you want it done, if that makes sense :)
I thought about the newer card as a slight future-proof at least until they can upgrade the rest of the system.
It's important to upgrade what you're lacking for a workload.
If he wants a faster render, then yep, GPU upgrade is a good way to go. If he's having issues juggling multiple apps, or slowdowns within apps, then the CPU must be the first upgrade.

J

jorgeireyes

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Yes, that's pretty much what I was going for. Eventually when he's ready for an upgrade for the rest of the system I would agree on the CPU and so on.