• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Z790 sidegrade

zapp

zapp

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I glad finally I am able to find work/creation build focused forum.
Currently I have X299 based setup with following configuration :
  • Processor ---- 3.5 GHz 12-Core Intel i9 (10920X)
  • Board ---- Asrock X299 Creator
  • Cooling ---- Deepcool AK620
  • Memory ---- 256 GB 3200 MHz DDR4
  • Boot Disk ---- PNY CS2241 M.2 NVMe 4TB SSD
  • Graphics ---- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB
  • OS ---- Windows 11 Pro 22H2
  • Display ---- Wacom Cintiq Pro 16
PCIe Configuration
  • Slot 1 x16 ---- GPU (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB)
  • Slot 2 x8 ---- AsMedia USB-C 20Gbps card
  • Slot 3 x16 ---- vacant
  • Slot 4 x1 ---- Soundblaster PCIe sound card
  • Slot 5 x8 ---- Sonnet Allegro USB-C 8 ports (10Gbps)

[Problem]

I just mere illustrator using CLIP STUDIO PAINT. Overall, my system is OK, but several of my very large illustration project is taking a toll to my system and I was overstating my machine capabilities. It's usable, but I need to proceed slowly, even sometimes canvas refresh is taking several seconds.

The canvas resolution is 7000x10000 pixels dimension, and hundreds of layers. Turn out CLIP STUDIO PAINT is lighly threaded, so speedy single core is preffered. Each canvas can taking up to 110GB of RAM, and I heard nowadays consumer chipset is able to take 192GB and also DDR5 which is double the speed of my current RAM.

Originally, I choose Z790 board but since Z690 is almost the same I will get cheaper Z690

[Sidegrade Plan]
  • Processor ---- i9 ???
  • Cooling ---- any air cooling ???
  • Board ---- MSI MAG Z690 Tomahawk WIFI
  • Memory ---- 192 GB 6000 kit ???
  • Boot Disk ---- PNY CS2241 M.2 NVMe 4TB SSD
  • Graphics ---- Quadro RTX4000 16 GB
PCIe Configuration
  • Slot 1 x16 ---- GPU (Quadro RTX4000 16 GB)
  • Slot 2 x1 ---- Soundblaster PCIe sound card
  • Slot 3 x4 ---- MSI Thunderbolt M4 8K add in card
[Question]
  1. Initially I settled with i9 13900K, but with gen 14th already around the corner, is worth to wait? I can buy cheap Celeron as a temporary placeholder and use as BIOS updater until gen 14th released.
  2. I don't familiar with DDR5 yet, is any reference/recommendation for 192GB kit without RGB? Speed doesn't matter, any stock frequency and timing is OK
  3. Assuming i9 14th gen thermal envelope is similiar with current 13900K, is possible with air cooling sustain frequency boost with standard power limit? (I don't familiar with hybrid cores yet). My choice of air cooling is either Noctua or Deepcool
I would appreciate for any input especially for latest Intel CPU architecture info and basic handling. While I know some degree of PC stuff, but basically it's not my main forte and I considering myself just a regular user.

Thank you !!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Initially I settled with i9 13900K, but with gen 14th already around the corner, is worth to wait?
In terms of getting a better price, maybe. All signs point to 14th gen being a refresh so you shouldn’t be missing out on anything too groundbreaking.
I don't familiar with DDR5 yet, is any reference/recommendation for 192GB kit without RGB?
DDR5 is still pretty new so haven’t seen too many. The only one I know of is the Corsair Vengeance 4x48GB kit.

Assuming i9 14th gen thermal envelope is similiar with current 13900K, is possible with air cooling sustain frequency boost with standard power limit?
Most likely yes.