• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Advice for new build for interior design work

T

TAO

Just came across this excellent site.

I'm looking for advice on a new build machine.

I use Rhino for modelling and Vray for rendering interior design scenes for hospitality spaces - hotels, restaurants, bars. The most complicated parts of my scenes are upholstery (I usually use purchased NURBS models from sites like Turbosquid), glass (wine glasses, bottles, glass in lighting fixtures eg chandeliers) and lighting like IES spot lights, sunlight.

After building the shell of the space (walls, windows, etc), I build millwork and place furniture and lighting, then apply materials.

I spend a lot of time in the viewport with materials turned on so I can get an idea of overall palette, then I spend a lot of time running test renders to get the lighting setup looking good, and trying out different materials. Once I'm good with tests I run production renders.

Most of my materials have little complexity, like texture fabric (think wool, linen), but the views are rarely up close for the need for hyper-real looking materials. I never use complicated textures like grass or fur.

Newbie question: for this type of interior work, what's the benefit of having a daily workstation plus one extra separate render PC, as opposed to having one super powerful workstation? In other words, is my money best spent on a mid-level PC for my daily work, that I send to a powerful second machine for rendering, or do I spend the money on one solitary, powerful machine?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
What render times are you working with, when using your current setup? And what hardware are you using?

If you're spending quite a bit of time on those production renders, a separate render machine to speed up the process isn't a bad idea at all. But if scenes are not taking way too long even now, might be better to go with a single system :)

T

TAO

What render times are you working with, when using your current setup? And what hardware are you using?

If you're spending quite a bit of time on those production renders, a separate render machine to speed up the process isn't a bad idea at all. But if scenes are not taking way too long even now, might be better to go with a single system :)
Hi Jerry, the renders currently take me 1-2 hours per scene but I have a very old setup

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jerry, the renders currently take me 1-2 hours per scene but I have a very old setup
In that case, I'd go with a single powerful PC build. You can use the CGDirector PC Builder to generate one with the 3D Modeling workload selected :) Post it here and I'll see how best to optimize it for you.