• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

amd 5600x + RTX3060ti best price/performance ratio for modeling/rendering ?

turquoise

turquoise

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

If we abstract from the current price fluctuations and lack of stock of the aforementioned elements, I wondered about the relevance of this combination for an enlightened amateurs or a professional who would keep in mind the price / performance ratio?

If I understood everything correctly, the modeling being carried out only on one single core, with the incredible ipc of the latest rysen cpu, it appears that the choice of processor is quite obvious.

For the "rendering" part, it is clear that if the program is compatible with OptiX, there is no longer any reason to use something else (or not?). And therefore an nvidia rtx card would be the right choice. Also, so far I have only found one test on the creative uses of the rtx3060ti. (here) GPU which seems particularly interesting for its price / performance ratio (for projects of reasonable size considering the 8go vram).

Does my reasoning seem right to you? What I am missing or misunderstanding?

Therefore, what do you think about this configuration for a combo SketchUp-vRay and/or for a multipurpose Blender usage ?

Cpu : AMD Rysen 5600x
Gpu : Nvidia RTX 3060ti
MB : Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO V2 or X570 MSI Tomahawk
RAM : 32go (4X8) 3600C16D-16GVK ( already there)
HDD : Rocket NVMe PCI 4.0 1TB (already there)
PSU : 750W

Thanks.

Last edited:
turquoise

turquoise

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Other test on the creative uses of rtx3060ti (here).
Note that the 3060ti is 2 times less efficient (w. optiX) than the 3090 for a quarter of its price, as well as about 13% less efficient than a 3070 for about 80% of its price.

Of course, time is money and we should also look closely at the level of energy consumption ... 20min at 400w max (rtx3090) vs 40min at 215W max (rtx3060ti) ...

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Other test on the creative uses of rtx3060ti (here).
Note that the 3060ti is 2 times less efficient (w. optiX) than the 3090 for a quarter of its price, as well as about 13% less efficient than a 3070 for about 80% of its price.

Of course, time is money and we should also look closely at the level of energy consumption ... 20min at 400w max (rtx3090) vs 40min at 215W max (rtx3060ti) ...
Definitely, if your budget allows it, there's not much reason not to go for an RTX 3090. The only issue is stacking multiple cards for renderers like Redshift which scale linearly with multiple GPUs. Stacking four of these monsters, is well, not quite plausible at the moment.

The best value options are still the RTX 3070 and 3080 if you can live with the lower VRAM.

If you're going for an RTX 3090, I'd spring for at least a 1000W power supply as it seems to hit transient loads of up to 550W momentarily, which will trip most lower-wattage PSUs.

turquoise

turquoise

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
I'm glad you answered but it seems that you are missing the point. The idea, here, is to find the best value for money. For sure, the 3090 is a hell of a card ! But not really optimal in terms of its price/performance ratio, except, at a pinch, for a non stop rendering dedicated machine only and for its 24gb of ram of course. But frankly, this only concerns a very small fraction of 3D designers.

If there were no other arguments than to take "the most expensive because the best" ( or without thinking "the best because the more expensive"), we would not go very far at least for those with a more modest budget or others with short sight but large wallets.

And yes, we know that the msi X570 unify is an incredible motherboard, that the ryzen 5950x is the best allaround processor and that the rtx3090 will render faster... but at what price and when is the investment amortized? it is not that simple. In the first place because, who says 5950x and/or rtx3090 also says motherboard, cooler and power supply more powerful and more expensive. And secondly, forgets the question of efficiency in relation to the needs and cost of the whole and I'm not even talking about "the ecological question"...

So rather than proposing the moon, let's stay on earth and ask the right questions. :
What would be the limits of an 5600X and RTX3060ti duo?
And by extrapolation, what can we expect from it, what would it be possible to do with it? and in what condition?
Isn't this really a good deal for most designers ?

Cheers.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm glad you answered but it seems that you are missing the point. The idea, here, is to find the best value for money. For sure, the 3090 is a hell of a card ! But not really optimal in terms of its price/performance ratio, except, at a pinch, for a non stop rendering dedicated machine only and for its 24gb of ram of course. But frankly, this only concerns a very small fraction of 3D designers.

If there were no other arguments than to take "the most expensive because the best" ( or without thinking "the best because the more expensive"), we would not go very far at least for those with a more modest budget or others with short sight but large wallets.

And yes, we know that the msi X570 unify is an incredible motherboard, that the ryzen 5950x is the best allaround processor and that the rtx3090 will render faster... but at what price and when is the investment amortized? it is not that simple. In the first place because, who says 5950x and/or rtx3090 also says motherboard, cooler and power supply more powerful and more expensive. And secondly, forgets the question of efficiency in relation to the needs and cost of the whole and I'm not even talking about "the ecological question"...

So rather than proposing the moon, let's stay on earth and ask the right questions. :
What would be the limits of an 5600X and RTX3060ti duo?
And by extrapolation, what can we expect from it, what would it be possible to do with it? and in what condition?
Isn't this really a good deal for most designers ?

Cheers.

Hey, I think you didn’t read my full reply.

“The best value options are still the RTX 3070 and 3080 if you can live with the lower VRAM.”

If you’re okay with the VRAM compromise, then this is most definitely the way to go. Also, the 3060 Ti has made the RTX 3070 look bad from a value standpoint within that price bracket as well.

The rest of my reply was merely aimed at indicating the downsides of going with the most powerful card on the market. Not to encourage a jump up to it.

As for amortizing your investment, it really depends on your work. Getting one project out of the way faster and moving on to the next is an option for most professionals, so anything that reduces waiting times is great. So that really depends on you, your work, and if you’re freelancing, your clientele.

A 5600X is definitely an exceptional CPU and I’d recommend one for workstations that aren’t doing any cpu rendering work professionally. It’ll offer a very smooth viewport experience, and that’s what you’re looking for when actively working on a scene. As for what to expect, well, for Vray NEXT it'll be slightly weaker than an Intel Core i9 9900K. You'll need some frame of reference using your current setup to figure out what sort of performance to expect from this build.

1607123196070.png

turquoise

turquoise

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Also, the 3060 Ti has made the RTX 3070 look bad from a value standpoint within that price bracket as well.
Yes, that's the point !

The rest of my reply was merely aimed at indicating the downsides of going with the most powerful card on the market. Not to encourage a jump up to it.
Okay, mea culpa, I misinterpreted your answer. We can be friends now. ;)

As for amortizing your investment, it really depends on your work. Getting one project out of the way faster and moving on to the next is an option for most professionals, so anything that reduces waiting times is great. So that really depends on you, your work, and if you’re freelancing, your clientele.
Obviously ! I do not think otherwise.

A 5600X is definitely an exceptional CPU and I’d recommend one for workstations that aren’t doing any cpu rendering work professionally. It’ll offer a very smooth viewport experience, and that’s what you’re looking for when actively working on a scene.
yes, that is indeed what it also seems to me.

As for what to expect, well, for Vray NEXT it'll be slightly weaker than an Intel Core i9 9900K. You'll need some frame of reference using your current setup to figure out what sort of performance to expect from this build.
Of course but, as I said, if we choose the 5600x it is not to render with it (or only if we do it rarely). Hence the interest of an rtx card for rendering with OptiX. That's what my post is all about. This CPU / GPU duo is obviously only interesting when using an OptiX compatible rendering program (not a cpu rendering). Especially since a few weeks ago, an rtx2080ti was still the top for rendering. However, the 3060ti, thanks to the second generation of computing units, is just as efficient or even more with the OptiX rendering for a third of the price of the 2080ti, which is still quite a deal!

turquoise

turquoise

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
"After poring overall of the results here, it seems that NVIDIA’s GeForce RTX 3060 Ti is easily the best value of the bunch. It cost $399 (SRP), and outperforms all of the company’s last-gen top-end parts in Cycles – including 2080 Ti and TITAN RTX.
(...)
As for CPUs, it’s really hard to recommend high-core count chips for Blender use right now when NVIDIA’s GPU performance is so strong. We saw a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti with OptiX outperform AMD’s top-end 64-core Threadripper, so we don’t know what else needs to be said. You should only opt for a many-core CPU if other workloads demand it, or if you want to eke as much performance out of a CPU+GPU combo as possible."
(Techgage)

Reactions: Jerry James