• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Asus X670E BIOS update Info on Flashback

T

Tim D

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Asus X670E Bios updating tips if done via flashback from USB stick.

Recently updated the BIOS on my X670E Proart Asus M/board using the Bios flashback mode and a USB stick. It led to a few problems which were sorted fairly easily so I will pass on a likely robust way of achieving it. Alex's article on the MSI BIOS reset is good and linked to here https://www.cgdirector.com/how-to-reset-msi-bios/

The Asus board is similar but slightly different in some subtle ways. I had already updated an Asus B450F2 Rog Strix board and had expected this X670E to be as easy. Originally I used the same 32Gb USB stick for updating the X670E as it was already FAT32 formatted and loaded with the extracted new X670E BIOS. After putting the USB in the correct slot with the machine fully powered down, repowered and hit the BIOS flashback button and nothing happened - except a now stuck unbootable machine with orange LED on!. Usual clearing Cmos etc resulted in no change it just would not accept the new BIOS from that 32Gb stick.

It turned out that using a much smaller USB stick 1 Gb formatted in FAT32 with the same BIOS update worked and the little green light merrily started flashing away as the new BIOS was installed. There is apparently a max of 4GB for the USB to contain the new BIOS, but see also below. Bit confusing that the B450 board took the 32Gb stick...

There is also a potential issue of the stick being changed in it's header from MBR to GPT which will also prevent the BIOS update taking. This can be changed using the Command Window/Shell in Windows with some changes under Disk Partition. If you get stuck with an Asus X670E board I recommend checking this stuff out, it could save you a lot of head scratching.
MBR as many will know is the older partition system Master Boot Record used for multiple operating system boots as well as disk partitions. The GPT is a newer partition tool better suited to larger drives. Almost certainly the BIOS update USB sticks work with the older MBR system, it is in fact much older than FAT32. It may be that Win 11 changes this MBR to GPT and it will not indicate to you the user it has done so.

Reactions: Alex Glawion
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
This'll definitely help others who might be stuck with an ASUS BIOS! Thanks, Tim! :)

Some additional context here for others who might be having issues:
  • ASUS recommends a 1 GB or larger single sector, FAT 32 USB drive.
  • If you're still having issues, as @Tim D recommends, switch your drive to MBR instead of GPT and delete any partitions. Here's how -
    • Run elevated command prompt (right click, run as admin)
    • Enter 'diskpart' (all commands without quotes and brackets)
    • Enter 'list disk'
    • Find the right disk (very important, make sure it's the right one) and note its disk number (displayed under Disk ###)
    • Now, enter 'select disk <disk number>'. This is the number you identified above.
    • Next, enter 'clean'. This steps deletes all partitions/volumes on the disk.
    • Last, enter 'convert mbr'. You should see a success message if all goes well.

Reactions: Alex Glawion