• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

C4D - Animation/Render Build for Octane/Redshift

• Thread starter EarnestFranklin
  • Start date
EarnestFranklin

EarnestFranklin

Tech Intern
Reaction score
USA student, looking to build a mostly recreational Cinema 4D build for $1700-$2000 (willing to pay more for better value.)
  • Will be designing medium-complexity animations and rendering with Octane and Redshift. I use Blender on occasion but that's a low priority.
  • Render speed is not as important as preview speed, but I think these will both be very similar with Octance from my understanding.
  • I'm not looking to upgrade the PC significantly in the near future, but would like to start with 64-gb ram and have the option to double if needed.
My initial thought is to prioritize the GPU to get the best performance for Octane previews/rendering but there doesn't seem to be any great value cards in the 40 series at the moment, but I'm unsure if going with a 30s card is wise as I don't plan on upgrading for several years. That said I would like to be able to do some cloth and other sims on occasion, which I believe will be much more CPU reliant.

I've built computers in the past but never for a specialized task like C4D + Octane and I'm ignorant to the best value CPU/Motherboard/GPU combos for my needs. Does anything NVidia GPU wise have a good price/performance ratio at the moment? Would you spend more on CPU or GPU?

Appreciate any and all advice.

Starting Point
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($229.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($219.95 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5200 CL40 Memory ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 870 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1633.79

EarnestFranklin

EarnestFranklin

Tech Intern
Reaction score
@Jerry James do you have any thoughts or guidance by chance?
Thanks!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
but I'm unsure if going with a 30s card is wise as I don't plan on upgrading for several years.
The current market is sadly in a deadlock. I'd honestly just shop on the used market for a 30-series card until the GPU manufacturers come to their senses and normalize prices. Something like a used RTX 3080 would be ideal for your workloads.

If you're buying new, the build looks pretty good. I'd opt for at least an 8-core CPU, so hop up to the Ryzen 7 7700X. Good pick on that CPU cooler, btw!
Everything else looks good to me :)