• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Could someone look over my build and check for errors?

B

Bimo

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

before I buy the rest of my new build I would like to get some inputs from you to check, if everything is fine with it. First, my CPU and my GPU are already bought (marked green in the list). I plan to reuse my case and maybe a HDD for private storage, as well as the peripherals. So my main concern is that I maybe missed something in terms of sizes or other spacing related things, even though I checked it.

What's your Budget?
My budget is around <=1500€, but I get this PC for my homeoffice and my company buys it, which is why the tax can be deducted.

Main and secondary workloads?
Mainly I work with After Effects and the Creative Cloud Apps. But I plan to improve my skills in Fusion and 3D Programms, which is why I want a build suitable for this. Occasionally I play some games, mainly Trackmania.

Are you looking to upgrade the PC in the near future?
Not so soon, I want a quite "futureproof" midrange build.

What country will you be shopping your parts in?
Germany

Here is my setup. Please let me know what you think.

My case is the following:
Fractal Design Define Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (Manual)

Link to pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mMH44s

CPUAMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
CPU Coolerbe quiet! Dark Rock Slim CPU Cooler OR
be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim 2
MotherboardGigabyte B550M AORUS PRO-P Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
StorageWestern Digital Black SN850 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME AND
Kingston NV1 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Founders Edition
Power Supply Unitbe quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W OR
be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W

So what do you guys think? Can I go for it or do you see any big issues?

Additional questions:
1) I heard that memory slot with lower voltage could perform better, but I didn't read too much about this so far. What I know is that 1.2V is considered like the "standard" and, for example, 1.35V is some sort of overclocked? Do you have any expierience with this?

2) Is the first CPU Cooler too much and the second one fits the needs as good as the first?

3) Same question goes for the PSU. Would the first one be a better choice (in terms of fan volume etc.)?

BIG THANK YOU IN ADVANCE! I know its much text, but ja..thx :)

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Is the first CPU Cooler too much and the second one fits the needs as good as the first?
No, it's a 12-core CPU so this is nowhere near overkill territory, so I'd say give it as much cooling as possible to get great boost clocks.

I heard that memory slot with lower voltage could perform better, but I didn't read too much about this so far. What I know is that 1.2V is considered like the "standard" and, for example, 1.35V is some sort of overclocked? Do you have any expierience with this?
Well, the simple explanation is that some memory has been tested (rated) to run at higher speeds than what is the current industry standard. The only thing you'll need to do is enable an XMP / A-XMP / DOCP profile in your motherboard BIOS to get your memory to its rated clock.

3) Same question goes for the PSU. Would the first one be a better choice (in terms of fan volume etc.)?
I'd go with the first one to keep my options open down the line (GPU-wise) because PSUs can last quite long. In case you ever want to spec your machine with a top-tier GPU, you won't have to swap out the PSU as well.

B

Bimo

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey Jerry, thank you for your reply and sorry for my late answer!

I guess I will go with the better PSU and CPU Cooler then.

If I understand right, I neither benefit from a higher voltage memory, nor do I have a disadvantage with a 1.2V memory?
So as long as I use a XMP Profile with my 1.35V memory it should be all fine, right?

Thank you :)