• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Desire new desktop or laptop - I'm an embedded/systems software developer, and run many simulations

M

MrBN

Tech Intern
Reaction score
I've run the builder, and achieved this:

Work/live in USA, want to build/purchase/etc. either a desktop or laptop, and 3 displays (e.g. laptop display + 2 individual monitors), each monitor >=~34" and ~4k and >= 60 Hz refresh. Precise color is not important. Fast typematic rate (keyboard) and (display) text update is most most important (e.g. as I'm typing in code inside an Integrated Development Environment, such as Microsoft Visual Studio, IntelliJ, etc.), and so is ability to drag UI's of non-CAD programs around quickly on the desktop. I run keyboard and mouse "macros" extremely often (e.g. > 100 times/hour), and type *very* fast (and I "hate" using a mouse :)!). I most frequently write embedded software, and have several hardware prototype boards plugged into USB (for both power & communications). Also, much of my work is actively/constantly transferring info across internet to/from remote devices (i.e. min is GigE, wired is fine, wireless as secondary). Lots and lots of local disk I/O while I'm running (local on this desktop/laptop) simulations of hardware that's "communicating" to the system software application I'm currently developing/debugging. Many tools running and interacting/synchronizing (critical time synchronizing) simultaneously with the system software I'm currently debugging. I'm hoping to spend < $5k for desktop/laptop+monitors+cabling/etc. All the above "development environment" is being run in each of ~3 VMWare Workstation Pro Guest machines (running Win10 or Linux).

I'm *very* appreciative that your site exists, and that there may be someone here willing to help me out :) :)!

FYI: I currently use a Dell XPS 15 9570 w/32 Gb, w/SDD (the drive is kinda slow though)...
Connected to a CalDigit TS3 Plus docking station:
And it is connected (over GigE) to my NAS DS218+, and over USB-C to Philips 436M6VBPA Gaming monitor, and over HDMI to ASUS VS238H-P 23" monitor.

The slowness of the keyboard (both outside the VMs in my host Win10 laptop, as well as inside each VM) is driving me crazy. I've been diagnosing this for > 1 year now, trying everything, and have finally concluded it's likely the combination of ?using a laptop with this docking station with these monitors?.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
it's likely the combination of ?using a laptop with this docking station with these monitors?
Yep, that sounds about right :)

As for your build, it looks pretty great overall. Just a couple of tweaks I'd make are:
  • Up the power supply to at least 850W.
  • Switch the PC case to something better. You can find a list of decent options here (the list is still being updated; I recommend the Lian Li model linked there) - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-smallest-atx-cases/
  • If you have lots of Local disk I/O work, you could also grab a PCIe Gen 4 SSD to maximize read and writes. But keep in mind that this will only improve performance for sequential reads and writes of relatively large chunks of data.