• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

GPU workstation build

G

gabrielle82

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Good day! I work at NASA Langley Research Center and am configuring and trying to purchase a system comparable to a Dell Precision 7920 with Dual Intel® Xeon® Platinum 8280 (38.5MB cache, 28 cores, 56 threads and 256GB RAM. We wanted to get a NVidia GV100 or comparable GPU but Dell says they can't configure it for us. Looking around, it appears the GV100 has been mothballed (so to speak) but I am having trouble finding the next gen of it. Dell says they can sell us the workstation but we will need to add the GPU ourselves. I am looking for information about what GPU is the next gen of GV100 and how to buy it. Thanks!!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, NVIDIA's naming even has us confused at times so it's not really surprising that buyers are having a hard time. The latest gen workstation cards are called RTX xxxx Ada, so the top end product would be the RTX 6000 Ada.

PS. This is different to just an 'RTX 6000.' That's previous gen.

G

gabrielle82

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thank you sir for your reply. I will look into this and hopefully get the engineers what they are looking for here. Do you happen to know if a Precision 7920 can accomodate this new card?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you happen to know if a Precision 7920 can accomodate this new card?
Yes it should! Dell's images indicate that a 7920 it has more than enough space to accommodate multiple RTX 6000 Ada cards :)

1693064179806.png