• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Help picking graphics card

R

Robsionnach

Tech Intern
Reaction score
I’m building a workstation for animation (maya/blender) and video editing (premier). I won’t be doing hair/cloth or sims to a high degree, mostly character animation.
The Original card I had picked was cancelled by seller so I want to take this chance to get your input!

Here’s what I have:

EVGA 220-B5-0650-V1 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E2T0B/AM)

Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3, Premium-Grade CPU Cooler for AMD sTRX4/TR4/SP3 (140mm, Brown)

G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-28800 DDR4 3600MHz CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC

Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-1TB)

ASRock X399 Professional Gaming sTR4 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1/3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X Processor (YD295XA8AFWOF)

Thanks in advance!

ROB

R

Robsionnach

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Oh forgot to mention that I originally ordered a Radeon pro 7100....not sure if it is the best choice and hence the need of your help!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you required to go with a professional-grade GPU for your work? Any specific feature or specification that prompted you to spring for a Radeon Pro?

R

Rob

Hey Jerry thanks for the reply. Not required, just wanted something to satisfy Maya and Premier (recommended on their hardware requirements)
Nothing specific on the Radeon Pro, it's just so hard to find anything decent at the moment! I'm also figuring things out as I go...
Really want to have something that will run Maya, Premier and occasionally Blender without any issues.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Jerry thanks for the reply. Not required, just wanted something to satisfy Maya and Premier (recommended on their hardware requirements)
Nothing specific on the Radeon Pro, it's just so hard to find anything decent at the moment! I'm also figuring things out as I go...
Really want to have something that will run Maya, Premier and occasionally Blender without any issues.

Ah, in that case, I'd just recommend gaming graphics. I covered the difference between the two in my review of the W5500 here - https://www.cgdirector.com/amd-rade...Workstation_Graphics_vs_Gaming_Graphics_Cards

At the price point you're shopping in, check for an RTX 3070 in your region.

R

Rob

Thanks for the help Jerry! The site is a great resource, much appreciated! And I did use the links to get most the parts!! Have a good Holiday.

Reactions: Jerry James and Alex Glawion