• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Intel iGPU for display only + Nvidia GPU for compute/render only (no display) ?

• Thread starter Olivié Charbonneau
  • Start date
Olivié Charbonneau

Olivié Charbonneau

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Dear fellow PC enthousiasts and content creators,

I have a setup to share and would like your opinion :

On my desktop I use the Intel iGPU for display only and the Nvidia GPU for compute / render only (no display).
= My screens are only pluged to the Intel iGPU with DisplayPort or HDMI, and no screen is pluged to the Nvidia GPU.

Intel iGPU : Intel Core i5 12600K (up to date drivers from Intel website, not from Windows Update).
Nvidia GPU : GeForce RTX 3060 (up to date Studio driver, not Game Ready driver).
The idea is somewhat the same as "Nvidia Optimus" back in the day.

My main tasks : After Effects + C4D Redshift + Chrome/Office + a mix of apps for CG & whatnot.
Zero gaming.
After Effects detects and uses the GPU : display & video coding-decoding with "Adobe Mercury hardware accelerated".
C4D Redshift detects and uses the GPU : renders just fine.

My understanding is : for display the iGPU is enought in Ae & C4D even with pretty big projects, and for compute / render the GPU is detected so it's great for :
> low power (watts) = good efficiency overall. Less electric draw, less heat, less noise. Sounds smart to me...
> maximum available GPU compute / render performance when needed. Sounds good to me...

So guys, is this a smart setup or a dumb setup for my needs ? lol

Thanks and have a good time!
Best regards.

Olivié

Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
So guys, is this a smart setup or a dumb setup for my needs ? lol
Well, I've usually found that you don't save too much power with the iGPU to be too noticeable as even a discrete GPU won't go full throttle unless it really needs to.

low power (watts) = good efficiency overall. Less electric draw, less heat, less noise. Sounds smart to me...
> maximum available GPU compute / render performance when needed. Sounds good to me...

But a few tests can confirm how much you're saving by running your display through your GPU and then through your iGPU, while tracking power usage across multiple apps with HWInfo :)

PS. Do post the results if you decide to test it out!

Reactions: Olivié Charbonneau