• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Looking for my beginner laptop for 3D work

Lia

Lia

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking for the good laptop that I can use for blender and 3D Max.
I'd like to learn those tools by myself first and if it works well, I want to change my career to the 3D game modeling field.
(focusing on the background modeling part)
It's my first try these tools so I'm not sure which laptop should I use.

I read the post the below laptop is okay for the 3d work.

HP viktus 16-d0187TX WIN10 (SSD 512GB)

Hansung TFG5597XG
Giga bite Aero 17
Apple Mac book pro 14

Is it really good that I can use for the tool?
and if there is better one for blender and max, could you please recommend? I will go for it.
I want it's not too heavy that I can carry it.
I have day job, I think i will go cafe after my work to learn it so not to fall asleep.

Really appreciate for your help!!

Last edited:
P

PixelMonster

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi,
I am also looking for a laptop to with on 3DS Max, and Rendering. From my short research of laptops. These are the factors to consider for when choosing a laptop.

Primary work: 3D Studio Max/SketchUp = Look for higher single core CPU, with more cores. Higher number of RAM (16GB+), GPU.
Primary work: Rendering = Look for highest GPU (CUDA Cores), then RAM, then CPU.

In general it is a good idea to look for 8 Cores/16 Threads CPU as a start/minimum. As that will cover most of the 3D software requirements outside of 3DSMax.
16GB RAM
nVidia cards are the only supported GPUs for most professional software out there. RTX cards are better 'bang for buck' vs Quadros. Besides, I believe the RTX supercedes the older generation cards of nvidia Quadro professional cards.

Also, you'd want to look for a good monitor. Look for good colour representation, and brightness. 16:10 ratio is optimal, but not necessary.
Look for higher than FHD monitors when you have a RTX 3070+ cards. You'll be able to benefit from the larger screen space/working area.

For me battery is not much of an issue, as I will mostly have my laptop plugged into mains while working.
Hope this helps in your search.

Also, I really can't tell which of your laptops you've listed has what spec.