• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Looking to build a Custom PC for 3D Animation with great GPU

J

JRolls89

Tech Intern
Reaction score
CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6NXkl

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900K 3.0GHz 24-Core Processor ($568.99)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 Aero D ATX LGA1700 ($299.00)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB - MSI Gaming ($1649.99)
Memory: 64GB (2x32GB) G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5-6000 CL30 ($217.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: WD Black SN850X 2TB NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive ($139.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series RM1000x 1000W ATX Power Supply ($150.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.95)
Total: $3215.81

This was what I was looking at. My budget is flexible so I don't mind adjusting as necessary. Just want an honest opinion.

My big focus is going to work in 3D Animation in Maya, sometimes Blender, and using Adobe Suite software that I still have.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
My big focus is going to work in 3D Animation in Maya, sometimes Blender, and using Adobe Suite software that I still have.
The build looks pretty good for your workload. Be on the lookout for deals on the Ryzen 9 7950X as I've seen it discounted here and there.
If sticking with Intel, I'd pick a better cooler like the Noctua nh-d15.
No other major changes needed as such :)

J

JRolls89

Tech Intern
Reaction score
The build looks pretty good for your workload. Be on the lookout for deals on the Ryzen 9 7950X as I've seen it discounted here and there.
If sticking with Intel, I'd pick a better cooler like the Noctua nh-d15.
No other major changes needed as such :)
Thanks for the suggestion Jerry.

I'm not as familiar with cooler's as I'd like. Can you explain what it is I should be looking for when deciding on a cooler? And is there a preference for air vs water cooling for 3D Animation PC build?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
And is there a preference for air vs water cooling for 3D Animation PC build?
Well, there's tradeoffs with each pick. Air coolers are generally more reliable as they don't have too many moving parts and are mostly just a chunk of metal. Water cooling would give you more performance, but at the cost of reliability as the loop is bound to run into issues eventually. You know, pump failing, gunk collecting in the loop, etc.
If you want the very best performance possible, a good quality 360mm AIO cooler would be the best bet. If you want slightly lower thermal performance, but extremely long-term reliability, air coolers are the right pick.

Hope that clears it up! :)

J

JRolls89

Tech Intern
Reaction score
It does. Thank you! And my last question: how would you determine the best motherboard for a new PC, and determine if it's compatible with the other parts I plan to get?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
how would you determine the best motherboard for a new PC, and determine if it's compatible with the other parts I plan to get?
Depends on what you need from it. Specific ports, connectivity, bandwidth, etc.
This might help - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-z690-z790-motherboards/

You only have to check the compatibility of your motherboard chipset and socket with Your choice of CPU and CPU cooler.