• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

My first self-built PC - a balanced performance for biostats and mainstream games

Endea

Endea

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hey everyone here! (and thanks for reading in advance)

I am currently a MacBook user but recently realized a growing need for a windows PC - either to relieve my MacBook from the comprise from ParallelDesktop & have a better gaming experience with friends.

Here are my situations & needs:
  • I will still do most of the work on my MacBook (and hopefully, it'll release its full potential after I uninstall the ParallelDestop);
  • things that I HAVE to do on the new PC would be gaming (most of them are steam games that could be played as a group but are thinking of trying some mainstream 3A games; not a big fan of FPS games & I have a particular interest in tons of management or stimulating games);
  • might also do some biostats analysis work and periodically use Ps, Pr, and Ai on this PC;
  • not going to update hardware too soon and wish to keep this PC for at least 3-4 years in a low-maintenance state (and willing to pay a bit more for that);
  • I am buying a monitor (LG 27UP850) for the best compatibility of my MacBook;
  • the budget is somewhere between AUD 1500 to 2000, depending on what I get
I am in Australia now and planning to buy all my parts on one website and let them assemble for me (to save much trouble for the first time). And here's what I got from their list of custom parts; please leave your advice on how balanced they are and whether there are any unnecessary/not fit-in parts that I could save my budget on (the current price of this is AUD 1651):

Intel Core i5-12400F (6 cores, 12 threads)

MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Motherboard (WiFi 6E & Bluetooth 5.2 included)

MSI 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X 8G OCV1 LHR

Kingston Fury 16GB(2x8G) DDR4 3200Mhz

500G - Western Digital Blue SN570 M.2 NVMe SSD

No HDD

Gigabyte P650B 650W 80PLUS Bronze Certificated Power Supply

Deepcool Gammaxx 400XT LED 4-heatpipes Air Cooler (Black Top)

1 × AG FF120-PRO LED Cooling Fan

Antec Dark Phantom DP301M Tempered Glass M-ATX RGB Case

p.s. the questions I have on my mind right now are:
  1. would my cooling system be enough in this combination?
    • I reckon 3060Ti 2x might be hotter than its 3x counterparts
    • not sure how the case itself performs in temperature control
    • unnecessary fans might increase noise so don't want to do that either...
  2. see somewhere said the motherboard MSI b660m pro-A might be too strong for this combination of CPU and graphics card? (cuz it could work perfectly with a better combination; it have plenty of ports 2HDMI 2DP);
    • but I am choosing this one because I want a better video output (HDMI 2.1)
    • take a lot of time to decide between the "MSI PRO B660M-P WIFI DDR4 m-ATX Motherboard (WiFi 5 & Bluetooth included)" they have, and I would be willing to this one if its HDMI&DP 1.4 is actually enough for me

THANNNKS again for reading this long one and pop whatever your experience or advice and I would be really appreciated!!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Intel Core i5-12400F (6 cores, 12 threads)

MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Motherboard (WiFi 6E & Bluetooth 5.2 included)

MSI 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X 8G OCV1 LHR

Kingston Fury 16GB(2x8G) DDR4 3200Mhz

500G - Western Digital Blue SN570 M.2 NVMe SSD

No HDD

Gigabyte P650B 650W 80PLUS Bronze Certificated Power Supply

Deepcool Gammaxx 400XT LED 4-heatpipes Air Cooler (Black Top)

1 × AG FF120-PRO LED Cooling Fan

Antec Dark Phantom DP301M Tempered Glass M-ATX RGB Case
The build looks good to me. Nothing glaringly off here.

would my cooling system be enough in this combination?
I would grab a couple of case fans, but mostly it should be just fine. How much is that Deepcool CPU cooler running you?

see somewhere said the motherboard MSI b660m pro-A might be too strong for this combination of CPU and graphics card? (cuz it could work perfectly with a better combination; it have plenty of ports 2HDMI 2DP);
Seems like a decent choice to me. Nowhere near overkill territory.