• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New PC build for 3D modeling, VR, rendering

Sabbradical

Sabbradical

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi! Been building my own computer since the early 90s, but it's been a while and I want to make sure that I'm getting the best bang for my buck. Most of my work is in 3D, vr, XR modeling and rendering, creating films in Unreal Engine and rendering them out, also blender and some Premiere.

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6NgPI

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16-Core Processor ($548.89)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 ($89.90)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC ATX AM4 ($199.99)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 24GB - EVGA FTW3 ($1349.99)
Memory: 64GB (4 x 16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 C16 ($364.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive ($149.99)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750W Power Supply ($134.99)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($146.99)
Total: $2985.73

My two questions are whether I should get two gpus or just stick with one, and since I'm working with programs that create large file sets and file sizes, what other internal storage besides SSD could I add on?

Thanks so much for everything! It's been really useful reading through these forums.

Brad

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
The build looks good to me. You can go with multiple GPUs if your render engine leverages them effectively. 2x RTX 3070 would outperform that 3090. But then you lose out on all that VRAM, so kinda depends on whether you need that memory on your GPU.

and since I'm working with programs that create large file sets and file sizes, what other internal storage besides SSD could I add on?
Will this mostly be archival storage where you want to put projects/files away once you're done working on them? Or are they large files that you need for active work?

If it's the former, a NAS combined with a good, high-speed local network is a great option. HDDs are another great option.
However, if it's the latter, depending on the kind of work, you'll have to spend more to get at more premium, higher density Gen3/Gen4 SSDs with capacities of 4TB/8TB.

Sabbradical

Sabbradical

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Great, thanks! It's for the former... I think I'll probably keep active projects on the SSD, and move them to disk and NAS backup.

If I did want to add an additional SSD, I'd that easy with this motherboard?