• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

New work station for modeling, rendering and graphic design (a ~10 years upgrade) o_O

6uillaume

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Dear CG Directors,

First of all, I have spent a whole day on your website and it really helps me a lot. Thank you very much for the work you have put on the line, I never thought I would be able to understand so much in such a little time, you guys rock. 🙌

After almost 10 years being limited by my laptop, I want to break free: I mostly work on Rhinoceros (Grasshopper) for modeling, V-Ray for rendering and the Adobe Suite for post-prod, graphic design and motion design.

I want to invest 1’500 euros for the hardware. I live in Switzerland 🇨🇭 and probably will buy parts or prebuilt (mainly because of the GPU shortage) in Germany 🇩🇪. This is what I have selected so far :

- Motherboard: ASUS Prime BM-A Wifi
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, 8 x 3.90Ghz
- Cooling: Silent Tower cooler: Xilence M704
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM 3000 MHz
- Storage: SSD M.2 500GB Kingston NV1 NVMe
- Power Adapter: be Quiet! System Power 9 - 600W - 80+
- Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600 (black soundproofed)
TOTAL= 1435 euros (+ international shipping) = It’s a match! 💌

This selection reflects the lessons I took from reading your posts:
- I would rather take a CPU with less cores to get a better clock’s speed when modeling/graphic design.
- For rendering, I would set V-Ray to rely on the GPU and therefore get a good one. This is going to help with motion design too.

I would love to get your thoughts on this setup. Many thanks in advance 🙏,

Guillaume

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Dear CG Directors,

First of all, I have spent a whole day on your website and it really helps me a lot. Thank you very much for the work you have put on the line, I never thought I would be able to understand so much in such a little time, you guys rock. 🙌

After almost 10 years being limited by my laptop, I want to break free: I mostly work on Rhinoceros (Grasshopper) for modeling, V-Ray for rendering and the Adobe Suite for post-prod, graphic design and motion design.

I want to invest 1’500 euros for the hardware. I live in Switzerland 🇨🇭 and probably will buy parts or prebuilt (mainly because of the GPU shortage) in Germany 🇩🇪. This is what I have selected so far :

- Motherboard: ASUS Prime BM-A Wifi
- CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, 8 x 3.90Ghz
- Cooling: Silent Tower cooler: Xilence M704
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
- RAM: 16GB DDR4 RAM 3000 MHz
- Storage: SSD M.2 500GB Kingston NV1 NVMe
- Power Adapter: be Quiet! System Power 9 - 600W - 80+
- Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600 (black soundproofed)
TOTAL= 1435 euros (+ international shipping) = It’s a match! 💌

This selection reflects the lessons I took from reading your posts:
- I would rather take a CPU with less cores to get a better clock’s speed when modeling/graphic design.
- For rendering, I would set V-Ray to rely on the GPU and therefore get a good one. This is going to help with motion design too.

I would love to get your thoughts on this setup. Many thanks in advance 🙏,

Guillaume
Is that motherboard an ASUS Prime B550M-A?
Build looks good to me overall, but one note. If you're using Adobe CC apps (especially After Effects), you'll probably want a lot more RAM. I'd recommend getting at least 32GB.

Reactions: 6uillaume

6uillaume

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Jerry 🤝,

Nice to meet you !
Yes it would have been the Prime B550M-A.
You are absolutely right, I am definitely getting more RAM. I am even considering 64G.
I found this setup as a prebuilt PC as it is so difficult to find a decent GPU at a decent price nowadays... But your website finally convinced me to go the hard way. I am focused on finding an RTX (between 3060Ti and 3080) right now. Once the gem is found, I will go from this to find the rest through your links.
Depending on the drops, it might not be happening anytime soon. I ll keep you updated ;). I can't wait to benchmark it and give you the results.

Thank you for your quick answer. Have a nice week-end.

Guillaume

• Love
Reactions: Jerry James