• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

PC build for Environmental concept art

L

LittleUnicorn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi!

I am an Environmental concept artist in my last year of uni and I was looking to building a PC that will work for 3D modeling, rendering, animation and also gaming. Apps I usually use are Maya, 3Ds max, starting to learn Blender and possibly Unreal Engine and the Adobe creative suite. As for games I usually play low demanding games. I am also hoping that I could stream/record videos on it.
Thank you a lot for writing this article, it helped me understand better how assembling your own PC works. I am still quite unsure though if my build has any compatibility issues or I should change for better/cheaper parts. My budget is around $2500USD. I hope to have a build that will stay for a couple of years without having to upgrade too much, at most the ram.
For now I have:

CPU:AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8GHz box
CPU cooler: be quiet Dark rock pro 4
Motherboard: GIGABYTE aorus elite x570 /// ASUS rog crosshair hero x570 <- Can not decide between those 2
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070 or 3080. Which one do you think will be better?
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 1.35v Dual Channel Kit
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB SATA-III 7200RPM 256MB
Power supply: Corsair RMx Series RM750x 2018, 80+ Gold, 750W or the 650w
Case: SilentiumPC Regnum RG6V EVO TG ARGB or a NZXT h700i. If I go with the nzxt case, should I switch to a kraken liquid cooling cooler instead of the air one? I am still new to the liquid vs air cooling system.

Thank you again!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey LittleUnicorn, the build looks good to me.

About the motherboards, they're at wildly different price points. Is there any specific feature you know that you need? Or do you just need a dependable motherboard to handle your 3900x?

I'd wait on the CPU purchase if at all possible because AMD is about to announce the latest-generation Ryzen on October 8th. Worst case scenario, you'll get your hands on the 3900x for a lower price.

You can always switch to a liquid AIO cooler. They're pretty easy to install and following the manual should have you up and running no problem. Make sure you match your radiator size (mm) to the max supported radiator on your case before pulling the trigger.

L

LittleUnicorn

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

For the motherboard I am looking to be able to maybe add another gpu down the road if I will be doing more rendering. Also what do you mean by worst case scenario?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply!

For the motherboard I am looking to be able to maybe add another gpu down the road if I will be doing more rendering. Also what do you mean by worst case scenario?

Worst case as in if the new AMD processors aren’t as compelling for these kinda workloads :)

If you just need to add one more GPU down the line, I see no reason to stretch your budget to the Crosshair Hero. Go with either an X570 Taichi or an X570 Unify if you plan to shop for top-tier GPUs down the line.
If you’re going with mid-range GPUs, the X570 Tomahawk is an excellent motherboard that can handle even the most demanding render tasks (you save $100 when going this route).