• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Questions for building PC

joaovictor

joaovictor

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Hi there!

I am building for the first time a PC, so I would like to ask some questions so I can avoid to make a big mistake building this machine:
Based on my research, this is a good configuration for modeling and rendering, but I still have some doubts.
What do you guys think about this please:

CPU:
-i9 13900k (24 cores)

GPU:
(How better is each one of these options so it would worth to buy a higher version?)
-RTX 4090
-RTX 4080
-RTX 3090
-RTX 3080
-RTX 3070

COOLER:
Any recommendation for a tripple cooler?

RAM:
(What matters more here: Gb or DDR4/5 ?)
-64Gb DDR5
-64Gb DRR4
-32Gb DDR5
-32Gb DDR4
(GSkill, ADATA, Crucial, Corsair)

MOTHER BOARD:
(I have no idea about motherboard, do you think this would work for any configuration?)
-Gigabyte Z 690 Aero D ATX LGA 1700

HD:
(I did read about this Seagate on CGDirector, but I wanted to have 2 HDs: one for the OS, and one for storage. Any recommendation for each one?)
-Seagate FireCuda 530

POWER:
-Corsair RMX Series Platinum RM850X 850W

I am sorry for the extense question, but hopefully I will not waste money and all pieces will work well assembled! :)

Thank you so much!
Joao

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
(How better is each one of these options so it would worth to buy a higher version?)
Buy the RTX 4090 if you have the budget, as that's the best 'value' among all 40-series cards.
Go for the RTX 3090 if you can find one at around $800-900 if you need the VRAM.

Next best options would be the RTX 4080 and 3070. Again, kinda depends on how your budget stacks up.

Any recommendation for a tripple cooler?
I didn't understand the question, sorry. If you're asking about a CPU cooler, the Noctua nh-d15 is one of the best ones you can get.

-i9 13900k (24 cores)
Go with Intel only if you're not doing any CPU rendering. The Core i9 runs hot and draws too much power under those kinds of workloads.

(I have no idea about motherboard, do you think this would work for any configuration?)
-Gigabyte Z 690 Aero D ATX LGA 1700
Yep!

HD:
(I did read about this Seagate on CGDirector, but I wanted to have 2 HDs: one for the OS, and one for storage. Any recommendation for each one?)
-Seagate FireCuda 530
An NVMe for OS, a separate NVMe (higher capacity) for active projects, and an HDD for archival storage is our recommended storage setup.

POWER:
-Corsair RMX Series Platinum RM850X 850W
If you want to go with the RTX 4090 and the 13900K, up the wattage to 1000W. Else it's perfectly fine.

joaovictor

joaovictor

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Thank you SO much @Jerry James for replying! 🙏

I don't know whats VRAM, but I will go for the 4090, thank you!

About the triple cooler I meant something like the attached image.

About the CPU, I would need to do some rendering but 90% of time modeling + realtime texturing like Substance Painter.
Would you recommend other than i9 ?

Thanks for the HD and Power orientation!

Would you recommend any store/company to assemble everything? I have really no experience building pc.

thank you so much again!

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Would you recommend other than i9 ?
We usually recommend the i7 13700K for non-rendering, viewport-focused tasks. But if you're doing both, a Ryzen 9 7950X is usually the better path.

Would you recommend any store/company to assemble everything? I have really no experience building pc.
Depends on your region, so you'll have to search online :) but building yourself isn't too hard if you follow a guide. We have several step-by-step guides on CGDirector as well.

joaovictor

joaovictor

Tech Assistant
Reaction score
Reactions: Jerry James