• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Sanity Check on a Compatibility Concern

V

Viepyr

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am upgrading my Gaming PC to a Ryzen 7 5800x3d and an AsRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming GPU.

I am wanting to vertically mount the GPU. (I am aware that it is mainly for asthetics, which is what I want.)

However, eyeballing the space I do not think it will fit with any of the major vertical mount kits that I am aware of. (Lian-Li, Phanteks, etc.)

My case is the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Rgb, my motherboard is an AsRock x570 Taichi. My CPU cooler is the Noctua D-15 Chromax Black. From what i gather is from the bottom of the cooler to the top of PSU shroud is approximately 6 inches. The Phantom Gaming card, from what ive seen is 5.5 inches in width, or tall when vertically mounted. The PCIE slot on any GPU mount is .44 inches tall, which is slightly less than a half inch. That would make the card 6 inches tall, plus however thick the frame is that the PCIE slot is attached to.

Are my measurementa correct and the vertical mount won't work? Are there any brackets that will work?

I dont want to spend $60+ dollars on a bracket and have to go through the hassle of returning it, I'd rather just know. But all the information I can find says that ill be a few millimeters too tall. And i dont know of another XTX card at the same price that will work that looks as nice as the Phantom Gaming. Only other card i am aware of is the XFX Merc 310 Black and i think its width is the same as the PG.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Are my measurementa correct and the vertical mount won't work? Are there any brackets that will work?
The measurements seem correct from what I can tell. At best, it's going to be a terribly snug fit, and at worst, you'll need a few extra mm to get it to fit. Your best bet would be to contact Lian Li support, and check in with them before pulling the trigger on your purchase.

Unfortunately, I've never vertically mounted a GPU in my life, so I'm just eyeballing a few configs to get an idea about the clearances needed for it.

V

Viepyr

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thanks for answering.

I did contact Lian Li about the measurements for their bracket, and because the company is overseas, I don't think I worded the question and they gave me the overall measurements for the bracket itself not the height of the PCIE slot.

The only thing I can think of is getting a smaller CPU cooler but I'm very reluctant to do so, as I like the cooler and it performs very well. Or get a new PC case and same reason, love the case and performs well with airflow.