• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

CPU & Board Upgrade for Blender, After Effects, DaVinci Resolve Studio

S

Sonja

Hi there,

I'm a bit lost in the Benchmark Jungle and need some compability advice to upgrade my system. I use Adobe After Effects, Blender (95% for modelling) and DaVinci Resolve Studio for Motion Design and Video Editing.
I would like to keep from my current PC:
Graphics Card: Palit RTX 2070 Super
Cooling: bequiet Dark Rock Pro + Silent Wings Case Fans
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Ripjaws F4-2800C16Q-32GRK DDR4-2800 PC4-22400
Power: Seasonic GM-500 Gold
Harddisks: SSD Crucial MX500 (System), Seagate Barracuda (Content Archive), M.2 Viper VPN100 TB (Cache & actual Projects)

Thinking about buying:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X (369€)
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk (119€)

Does this upgrade make sense for the software I use and the hardware I own or is there a better combination for around 500€-600€? Should I upgrade the RAM too to 3200/3600Mhz or just OC/double the existing one?
For the Mainboard: I don't need W-Lan or fancy RGB lights but plenty of USB slots for external harddrives, USB sticks, graphics tablet, and so on. On board Bluetooth would be nice to have.

Greetings from Germany
Sonja

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a bit lost in the Benchmark Jungle and need some compability advice to upgrade my system. I use Adobe After Effects, Blender (95% for modelling) and DaVinci Resolve Studio for Motion Design and Video Editing.
I would like to keep from my current PC:
Graphics Card: Palit RTX 2070 Super
Cooling: bequiet Dark Rock Pro + Silent Wings Case Fans
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Ripjaws F4-2800C16Q-32GRK DDR4-2800 PC4-22400
Power: Seasonic GM-500 Gold
Harddisks: SSD Crucial MX500 (System), Seagate Barracuda (Content Archive), M.2 Viper VPN100 TB (Cache & actual Projects)

Thinking about buying:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X (369€)
Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk (119€)

Does this upgrade make sense for the software I use and the hardware I own or is there a better combination for around 500€-600€? Should I upgrade the RAM too to 3200/3600Mhz or just OC/double the existing one?
For the Mainboard: I don't need W-Lan or fancy RGB lights but plenty of USB slots for external harddrives, USB sticks, graphics tablet, and so on. On board Bluetooth would be nice to have.

Greetings from Germany
Sonja
Both great choices for your workloads. Both CPU and motherboard are fine.
As for the RAM, yes, it's a bit on the slower side for Ryzen CPUs. I'd recommend springing for a 3600MHz kit as long as it's not priced too atrociously. If you can't find good 3600 options at a decent price, 3200 will do just fine but isn't probably worth an upgrade from your current setup.
You can find more information about memory here - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-memory-ram-amd-ryzen-cpus-3600-3700x-3900x/
It applies to Ryzen 5000 as well :)

S

Sonja

Thank you, I already placed my order. I read the Ripjaws can easily be overclocked to 3200Mhz, so I'll give that a try. Speculating on falling prices as soon as DDR5 comes out and enthusiasts going for that instead of DDR4.

Best regards
Sonja

Reactions: Jerry James
Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you, I already placed my order. I read the Ripjaws can easily be overclocked to 3200Mhz, so I'll give that a try. Speculating on falling prices as soon as DDR5 comes out and enthusiasts going for that instead of DDR4.

Best regards
Sonja
Sounds good! DDR5 will require a platform (motherboard+CPU) change btw. You won't be able to do a drop-in upgrade to DDR5.