• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

What is best for Illustration (CSP) , watching videos/ in calls, and gaming

E

Emrys TGAP

Hey y'all. Sorry if this sounds like some baby level questioning but as someone who has only ever used laptops, and has been in the Mac house for 6+ years, I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing here. However my laptop is trying its best to die, so I need to plan for a solution.

Things the computer will be primarily used for:

- Clip Studio Paint on my Cintiq
- Watching videos/listening to music while I am using Clip Studio Paint (my current laptop sh*ts itself anytime I try this RIP)
-Being on call/ streaming on discord when I'm drawing. Not to large audiences, mostly to friends but I'd like to be able to do this too
-I'd like to be able to game on it! I'm not doing anything crazy here, nor do I plan to be streaming games. But I'd like the option to buy games on my PC and not have it chug like it ran a marathon.

Those are really the primary uses of my computer. I'm looking to build a desktop computer, moving away from laptop work since I'm not needing to be as mobile as I was in college when I got this laptop.

My current budget is kind of in flux. I'd like to stay close to 1K, but am willing to spend a bit more if I need to to get a computer that will stand up to time a bit better. My absolute top is 1.5K but I'd really like to avoid that unless it's necessary.

E

Emrys TGAP

Forgot to add- this computer will also be used for Storyboard Pro!!

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say this build would be a good starting point -

CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6MEmW

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($272.99)
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler (Included with CPU) (-)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC ATX AM4 ($194.99)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 Super 4GB - Gigabyte ($369.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($72.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive ($119.99)
Power Supply: Corsair CX Series CX550M 550W ATX 2.4 Power Supply ($66.00)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($109.99)
Total: $1206.94

Look for an RTX 3060 GPU locally at around that price point ($400~) and you should be set for quite a few years.

E

Emrys TGAP

Thank you so much! Are any of these parts okay to buy secondhand/used? I know some of the more sensitive parts should be bought new like the GPU/CPU but I don't know about all of them.

Also there seem to be 3 different kinds of 3060 GPU. Will any of them work? There's an 80 dollar price difference in some.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! Are any of these parts okay to buy secondhand/used? I know some of the more sensitive parts should be bought new like the GPU/CPU but I don't know about all of them.
A CPU is actually pretty safe to buy second-hand if you can test it out somehow before the buy (i.e., if you find a seller locally). Memory and case are okay to go used too. Other stuff it's much safer to go new.
A used GPU isn't a great idea nowadays since the mining craze because you don't want one dying on you as soon as the warranty's over.

Also there seem to be 3 different kinds of 3060 GPU. Will any of them work?
Yep, get anything that fits your case and budget. Not too much difference between them. it's usually 'best value' to buy around the middle of the pricing stack. So if you have 3060s ranging from 400-500 USD, something in the $450 range should be a safe purchase most of the time. Still, it's a good idea to check for any potential issues by searching online before you pull the trigger.

E

Emrys TGAP

Back again! I was able to get my hands on a 3060Ti by pure luck.

I have a concern with the power supply listed. an honestly concerning amount of people have reviewed it stating that the Corsair power supply suggested has a tendency to fry the computer, explode, or damage other parts (particularly the memory/harddrives) to the point of being unusable. Is there a better/safer alternative?

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Back again! I was able to get my hands on a 3060Ti by pure luck.

I have a concern with the power supply listed. an honestly concerning amount of people have reviewed it stating that the Corsair power supply suggested has a tendency to fry the computer, explode, or damage other parts (particularly the memory/harddrives) to the point of being unusable. Is there a better/safer alternative?
This might help shed some light on the matter (there are a few recommendations there as well) - https://www.cgdirector.com/power-supply-guide/

as for Corsair, they make both good and bad power supply models. Just need to make sure you’re picking the right one :) the buying guide above will help.
PS. Congrats on the graphics card find!