• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

3D Workstation (Octane, Redshift, Cinema 4D) Advice

G

George

Hello

Relative PC noob and graphic designer currently trying to switch from my MacBook Pro 2018 to build a 3D workstation and would like some advice for this setup, my budget is around £1200-£1500. I’m not massively clued up on PC headwear and performance so some explanation of any suggestions will be appreciated. The setup will primarily be used for Octane or Redshift in Cinema 4D (stills and short looping animations), general Adobe suite work including After Effects and some Ableton Live. I’d ideally want the viewport, interactive rendering and overall render times to be fast and if possible I would like to be able to upgrade and change parts in the future.

What will my experience in C4D be like in this build? What are some parts I could think about upgrading to in future? Could I find better parts second hand? Anything else to think about with this build?

Here Are The Parts

A

Alan

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Hi Mate,

This is a ton of information but I just want to educate you more about which PC Components matters the most in these software's you work on :(AE and Cinema/Octane/Redshift) This is what I've learnt in the past years from my own experience and research. I may even be wrong about a few things.
I'm from Australia so I will be using $AUD for pricing but feel free to convert it to Pounds :)

Lets start with CPU:
Cinema 4D and After Effects in majority cases will only utilizes 1 core. Viewport etc. only uses 1 core so having multiple cores wont benefit you but still nice to have. However when you render with Native Cinema 4D renderer which is a CPU render, It will use all the cores provided. After effects unfortunately will only use 1 Core, but with CUDA GPU Acceleration you can get a big improvement on your renders :)

Your CPU list:
CPU NameCORES / THREADS$PRICERecommendation
Ryzen 5950x16core 32 threads$1300
Ryzen 5900x12 cores 24 threads$900Recommend
Ryzen 5800x8 cores 16 threads$750Recommend
Ryzen 5600x5600x 6 cores 12 threads$536Recommend

These are the latest Ryzen CPUs and mostly sold out everywhere. More in stock early next year hopefully :)

You Can always pick the previous Ryzen Gen 3000 Series (Ryzen 3900x is a great one) which is fairly cheaper priced than the latest one. They are also pretty fast in performance but the 5000 series are just the TOP SHIT ATM :)

Check out the benchmarks for these CPU:
After Effects Benchmarks: https: www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=65062
Cinema 4D Benchmarks (Render): https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-r23-scores-updated-results/

If you like Intel i suggest the Intel 10900k and that's pre much all i can recommend from intel, sorry they really falling behind in productivity apps.

Now GPU:
For Redshift and Octane AVOID AMD GPU!!!!

These 2 render engines only support Nvidia Cuda Cores atm. Also your CPU plays very little role in these GPU Render Engines.

These Render Engines scale very well with multiple GPUs. The More the better + Multiple GPUs don't need to match models meaning you can mix and match different GPU models :) Unless you want to NV-LINK/SLI 2x Same GPUs to share VRAM if the GPU supports it.

Nvidia's latest 3000 Series GPU are absolutely amazing for Octane and Redshift!
Depending on how heavy your workload is in these render engines. VRAM plays an important part in selecting the right GPU.
If you tend to always work on small projects or projects that don't use TONS of Textures and doesn't have Billions of Polygons; A GPU with 8 - 11 GB VRAM should be plenty! My GPU Suggestions are:

GPUVRAM$PRICE (Estimation and varies between Brands)Performance in OCTANE (Higher is Better)Recommendation
Nvidia RTX 308010GB$1200 - $1700549Recommend
Nvidia RTX 3070 8GB$900 - $1100403
Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti8GB$700 - $900376Recommend
Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti11GB$1600 - $2K+349

But if you do work with Heavy Geometry Scenes with alot of 4k - 8k textures and maybe even billions of polygons. 8 - 11 GB Vram will max out very very fast. In fact you will run into crashes alot in this scenario. Octane and Redshift do support "out of core memory" where once the scene uses all of the GPU Memory, it will start using your RAM Memory causing the render to be much slower.

In this Case you want a GPU that has more VRAM. 16GB is the sweet spot for a GPU but Nvidia Current has no BEST 16GB GPU model unless you SLI / NV-LINK 2x GPUs from the 20 Series. Currently from the latest 30 Series GPUs only RTX 3090 Supports NVLINK :( So you can't pair 2x 3060TI and get 16gb VRAM; you will however get the performance of 2x 3060Ti with an Octane Score Avg 752 Points but your 3D Scene can only use 1x GPU VRAM.

Here are the Options:
GPUVRAMPRICEPerformance in OCTANE (Higher is Better)Recommendation
Nvidia RTX 309024GB$2400 - $3000658Recommend
Nvidia RTX Titan24GB$4k - $5k380
Nvidia RTX Quadro 500016GB$3400243
2x 2080 Ti (Nv-Link)11 + 11= 22GB$3k -$4K694
2x 2080 Super (Nv-Link)8 + 8= 16GB$2k - $3k546
2x 2070 Super (Nv-Link)8 + 8= 16GBUnder $2K520Recommend

After Effects will perform almost neck to neck with any of the GPU listed above when using "GPU ACCELERATION".

For Octane Benchmarks check out every GPU Scores: https://render.otoy.com/octanebench...le_by=linear&filter=&singleGPU=0&showRTXOff=0

For Redshift Benchmarks: https://www.cgdirector.com/redshift-benchmark-results/

RAM:
For Ram not much to cover but i recommend 32GB (2x 16gb Sticks) with 3000mhz and above speeds.

Power Supply:
If you only use 1 GPU with no plans for expanding. 750Watts or 850Watts. should be enough but you will need to do research depending on what components you end up picking :).
For Multiple GPUs anywhere from 1000Watts to 1600Watts.

Motherboard:
This is another topic for different scenarios. If you decide to go with Ryzen CPU, the best recommendation from me is going MSI Meg X570 Unify Motherboard!
I picked this Mobo because its a great Mobo for its value ($440) with high features and it allows you to put 2x GPUs and its an absolutely great quality Motherboard!
But honestly you may not need this Mobo and can defiantly get cheaper ones. Look at many videos on Youtube for Ryzen motherboards :)

Conclusion:
That's a shit load of info to take but I hope I helped you get an idea of what to look for in a CPU / GPU. I Recommend going bang for buck over anything expensive :) Understanding your own workload can help you decide easily on what parts to pick over the others! There are tons of videos

Reactions: Jerry James and Alex Glawion
G

George

Wow that’s literally everything I’ve been looking for, thank you so much. In terms of the GPU do you think the extra cost of the 3070 is worth it over the 3060 ti? I’m not convinced I would notice any difference with relatively simple scenes in cinema 4d and given the 3070 seems really hard to find atm thinking the 3060 ti is a more sensible option? Do you also recommend any monitors? I know refresh rate is linked to what GPU you have.. so if I went for the 3060 ti would a monitor with a 75hz refresh rate be okay for this or would I benefit more from 144hz? I’m only looking at IPS monitors as I’ve heard these are the ones to go for - I’m drawn to the ASUS proArt but not sure on this! Thanks I’m advance!

Reactions: Alan
A

Alan

Tech Intern
Reaction score
You can overclock a 3060ti to get almost 3070 performance. If you wait till a little longer, rumour has it that a 3070Ti will launch early next year Q1 with 16gb VRAM and also another 3060ti with 12gb VRAM and a 3080ti with 20GB VRAM (all rumours / leaks and not announced lol). But if you need GPU NOW I recommend a 3060ti is bang for buck :)

For monitors 75hz is plenty for what you do! you only need more High Refresh Rate Monitors if you game as well. If your GPU provides you with over 150FPS for your game then you would want a monitor with 144hz or more to utilize those FPS. IPS Monitors is ideally what you want to aim for but VA is not that bad honestly. I recommend a monitor that has 1440p or more Resolution and most of all you want a monitor that has Accurate colours over Refresh Rate only because you are doing content creation.
Monitors that cover 10-30 bits colours, HDR and Colour Spaces like Rec 709, DCI-P3, sRGB, Adobe RGB, NTSC etc. is what you should aim for :) It helps alot if you already work in any of these colour spaces I mentioned, so you can pick the right one.
Usually these types of monitors have 60hz to 75hz Display which is fine. If High refresh rates is important for you then yes go for 144hz or above, but most likely you will sacrifice a monitors that provide accurate colours / wide colour ranges if you go with gaming monitors. Not that Gaming monitors have bad colours etc. some gaming monitors maybe even support those colours :) you will have to research the specs of your selected monitor.
For Pro Monitors, Brands like BENQ and DELL have great colour accurate monitors!
Goodluck :)

Reactions: Alex Glawion