• Welcome to our Forum! Ask PC-Build Questions, discuss Tech-News, Content Creation & Gaming Workloads or get to know the CGDirector Community off-topic. Feel free to chime in with insight or questions on any existing topic too! :)

Motion Media Artist/ Compositing Generalist in need of a PC

Z

Zanner

Hello,
I am a Motion Media Artist/Animator and work in Film.
I am new to building a PC specifically my Animation/MotionGraphics/VFX needs.
There are so many things to consider and keep track of while building a PC and as a freelance artist, my budget is limited.
I am looking to start a foundation build that I can gradually build upon. After reading similar posts and using the PC builder I realize I could benefit from multiple GPU's, a decent size RAM(my current laptop has 16GB and I would like to work towards 64GB or more), and it can all get costly. I want my build to be flexible and one I can improve upon within the year as I find room in my income.
I could use your wisdom.

My next project is focused on Motion Media, VFX Compositing, and Editing 4k video and starts soon.
I'll be using After Effects, Nuke and Davinci
The project after is focused on 3D animation (C4D and Blender)

Software that I use almost daily:

After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, and Illustrator for Design and Video Editing.
C4D/Blender for 3d modeling and animation. Arnold and Redshift for Rendering.
Blender/Nuke/After effects for compositing.
Toon Boom for 2d animation.

These are the two builds that come up using the PC Builder.

Motion Graphics Build:
CPU: Intel i7 10700k 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.97)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 ($69.90)
Motherboard: MSI Z490 Tomahawk ATX LGA1200 ($219.45)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 Super 4GB - Gigabyte ($445.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($88.99)
Storage SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($112.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive ($64.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply ($67.00)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99)
Total: $1489.27

3D Animation Build
CGDirector.com Parts List: https://www.cgdirector.com/pc-builder/?=6Mruc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($299.00)
CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Stealth Cooler (Included with CPU) (-)
Motherboard: MSI X570 Tomahawk ATX AM4 ($244.71)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650 Super 4GB - Gigabyte ($445.99)
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 C16 ($88.99)
Storage PCIe-SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive ($64.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 650 B5, 80 Plus Bronze 650W Power Supply ($67.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($123.99)
Total: $1334.67

I'd greatly appreciate your help on a suitable build for me cos I fear I might not know which one to opt for and which one of these can be built upon.
I also might have it all wrong.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Hardware Nerd @ CGDirector
Staff member
Reaction score
Both builds are quite reasonable. The Intel one will perform better but the AMD one will let you upgrade to a more powerful 16-core CPU if you want to without changing the motherboard. Also, are you after any specific feature on those motherboards?

Z

Zanner

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Honestly. I am a bit lost.
So when you say Intel would perform better, is that cos it has a higher core count or for other reasons.
Also, Should I be basing my choice of the motherboard on something specific?
These were the recommendations I was given when I used the PC builder.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
So when you say Intel would perform better, is that cos it has a higher core count or for other reasons.
Yep, pretty much. You can find some more detailed info here - https://www.cgdirector.com/best-computer-for-after-effects/
Also, Should I be basing my choice of the motherboard on something specific?
Well, it depends on your work, really. For example, if you're using a GPU renderer like Redshift, you'll want more PCI-E slots to add additional graphics cards. That sort of thing. If you're not sure whether you need anything specific, then you'll most likely be fine with a cheaper board and cut some cost there, which can then go into a CPU upgrade.

PS. The graphics cards on those builds are extremely overpriced due to the GPU shortages. Please check local stores for better options at those price points. This might help - https://www.cgdirector.com/where-to-buy-pc-parts-cpus-graphics-cards-in-your-country/

Z

Zanner

Tech Intern
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help.
That is something that I was considering since I use redshit/arnold to render most of the time.
Based on that would you recommend a different Motherboard.

Jerry James

Jerry James

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help.
That is something that I was considering since I use redshit/arnold to render most of the time.
Based on that would you recommend a different Motherboard.
If you see yourself needing to use more than two top-tier graphics cards like 3080s/3090s before you change your PC, yep, I'd recommend a motherboard that offers PCIe bifurcation on the first two slots (giving you an x8/x8 configuration). For example, the MSI MEG X570 Unify. But if that's an upgrade you're not thinking about anytime soon, the board you picked will do just fine :)